Dear all,

I've been tasked to evaluate the COP of an existing ammonia refrigeration plant and as a newcomer, I would like to seek advice on how I could actually proceed.

Parameters which I would be able to obtain are the suction and discharge pressures of the compressor and the compressor motor power. I understand that I should measure the mass flow as well but unfortunately I do not have the tools to measure the mass flow of ammonia.

I would probably be able to estimate the mass flow at full load capacity from the specifications based on the condensing and evaporating temperatures, but I'm not sure on how the mass flow would vary with capacity in a reciprocating compressor. would it be reasonable to assume the power is related to the capacity in a linear relationship?

I understand my questions are amatuerish and I realize I have much to learn on refrigeration. Thus I would deeply appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction in which I could measure the refrigeration capacity / COP of ammonia compressor.

Thanks.
CK