Which Technilogy to go for my house? (Newbie advice)

Dear experts,
    I have zero experience in the refrigeration field and I simply need your technical advice to help me choosing the best refrigeration system technology for my house that I recently started refurbishing.

In my Area, the AC (cooling system) needs to operate max 5 months per year; the question: is it wise overall to go for a VRF system for a house of 240 m2 rather than using the traditional Wall mounted split AC units.
    I learned that the VRF system cost is outrageous compared to the traditional wall mounted split AC units (4-5 times more)?

Talking about VRF systems, I heard that Samsung are doing very well; which brand and make do you recommend for a single house residential use (not a building) and you think it is economically good to go for a residential house of 240 square meters compared to the traditional split AC units?

In General, which technology would you recommend in my case? (esthetically, I prefer not to have any wall mounted units installed in the public area of my house, while in the bedrooms, private areas, I don't care)

Blog Entries

Re: Which Technilogy to go for my house? (Newbie advice)

That greatly depend on technical support available in your surrounding.
    My advice would be fan coil units and one chiller! Simple to maintain and fix, and yet comfortable as much as VRF systems. Costs are pretty much same or lover than VRF depending on quality of outdoor unit, control features fan coil units and labor costs in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    That greatly depend on technical support available in your surrounding.
    My advice would be fan coil units and one chiller!
    Are you talking about the centralized AC system where you have no control over each room refrigeration system? because my mentioned above system is known in my surrounding as the worse refrigeration system from the power consumption point of view which I am interested in taking good care of it.

Excuse my stupid questions, as I said earlier I am with zero experience at the AC field.

1- I guess that there shouldn't be any problem about the technical support..
    2- My concern is to have the cooling system concealed at my house public areas.
    3- Power saving is a must.
    4- Controlling the cooling system of each room is also required. I am looking for a system where the power consumption is relative to the number of operative rooms; so if the AC is operative in one room only, the consumption is definitely much less than if the AC is operative in the whole house.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nakkoush View Post
    Are you talking about the centralized AC system where you have no control over each room refrigeration system? because my mentioned above system is known in my surrounding as the worse refrigeration system from the power consumption point of view which I am interested in taking good care of it.
    As I said, control function of indoor units is adding to price of system but it is possible to have same level of control as with VRF systems.
    I don't know how well is your area developed regarding technicians skills, but what is the point to have high efficient and high-tech system which need high skills and good logistic when that are not locally available. It cannot perform at its high level without that.

Maybe I am wrong in my perception of your surrounding, but that is what i think in general about use of high tech equipment.
    Would you drive your Ferrari thru desert? I suppose only if it is off-road version.
    Last edited by nike123; 28-09-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Excuse my stupid questions, as I said earlier I am with zero experience at the AC field.

1- I guess that there shouldn't be any problem about the technical support..
    That is not my general impression, and I do some technical support for both VRF (Fujitsu, Mitsubishi) and chiller (various) systems. I would say that, mainly, VRF systems suffer more because of required higher level of technician knowledge and less tolerance (or even zero tolerance) for not OEM parts. Not to speak about unability to combine units of two manufacturers or even different generations of same manufacturer. Also chiller installations lasts at least 30 years and they don't care what manufacturer unit is connected to them.
    Contrary, VRF system life expectancy is about 15 years and then they, generally, need complete system (together with installations) replacement.
    2- My concern is to have the cooling system concealed at my house public areas.
    Easily achievable with fan-coil units! same as with VRF

3- Power saving is a must.
    Your house is energy consumer and your AC system is energy supplier. Greatest savings are from house construction and good control.

4- Controlling the cooling system of each room is also required.
    That is easy.

I am looking for a system where the power consumption is relative to the number of operative rooms; so if the AC is operative in one room only, the consumption is definitely much less than if the AC is operative in the whole house.
    That is also easy with chiller and fan coil system.
    Use of 3-way valves, electronically regulated circulation pump/pumps, zones and multistage chillers or chillers with inverter compressors is a solution to lower price of production of cooling energy that your house need.

Al above said is my personal belief from my experience as 15 years foreman/service chief in HVAC and Refrigeration equipment instalation and maintenance company.
    Last edited by nike123; 28-09-2009 at 01:33 PM.

I don't know how well is your area developed regarding technicians skills, but what is the point to have high efficient and high-tech system which need high skills and good logistic when that are not locally available. It cannot perform at its high level without that.

Maybe I am wrong in my perception of your surrounding, but that is what i think in general about use of high tech equipment.
    Would you drive your Ferrari thru desert? I suppose only if it is off-road version.
    the country that was shown on my profile is where I work. I have changed it to the location where the AC system is going to be installed. nevertheless, I appreciate your insistence for not going to a high-tech system even if highly skilled technicians are available.

Just use normal inverter splits.(or fixed speed if you have power problems)

Use the indoor unit which suits your requirement

Using a chiller or VRV means all your eggs are in one basket. Don't risk that. If you lose one split you can still use all the others so just move to cooler room till it's fixed. This is important in a hot country

Cheaper cost to buy, install and maintain too remember

Mitsubishi, Daikin Toshiba or anyother Japanese manufacturer who has a network in the country/region

Don't try to be too cleaver -this is not a rocket ship you are making

We are free to install next week no problem

That is also easy with chiller and fan coil system.
    Use of 3-way valves, electronically regulated circulation pump/pumps, zones and multistage chillers or chillers with inverter compressors is a solution to lower price of production of cooling energy that your house need.
    To cut short, don't you think that FCU and a Chiller are too much for a house of 200+ square meters?

In any case, do you recommend any other technology than the (complicated) VRF and the Chiller system?

Quote Originally Posted by multisync View Post

Use the indoor unit which suits your requirement

Using a chiller or VRV means all your eggs are in one basket. Don't risk that. If you lose one split you can still use all the others so just move to cooler room till it's fixed. This is important in a hot country

Cheaper cost to buy, install and maintain too remember

Mitsubishi, Daikin Toshiba or anyother Japanese manufacturer who has a network in the country/region

Don't try to be too cleaver -this is not a rocket ship you are making

We are free to install next week no problem
    Can a normal inverter splits units be ducted so that it can meets my requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by multisync View Post
    Are normal Inverter Splits more sensitive or risky to fail and screw up if the power supply is not very clean or stable?

Would you please enlighten me about this issue more?

Blog Entries

To cut short, don't you think that FCU and a Chiller are too much for a house of 200+ square meters?
    No, I install it here on regular basis heating/cooling with added benefit of free hot water in cooling season.

In any case, do you recommend any other technology than the (complicated) VRF and the Chiller system?
    As multisync said, it could bee done by multiple " single split-units". That is cheapest solution. And, sometime, best solution. It is certainly not most elegant solution but it is best if something is malfunctioning.

As multisync said, it could bee done by multiple " single split-units". That is cheapest solution. And, sometime, best solution. It is certainly not most elegant solution but it is best if something is malfunctioning.
    I am obviously going for a multiple "single split units" where some are going to be ducted (concealed) and some are wall mounted.

The only remaining unclear issue is: "Inverter Split Units" VS "Fixed Speed Split Units".
    The country where this system is going to be installed has power problems. Can someone please comment on the power issue and the Inverter Split units? is it not as rugged as the fixed speed system?

Blog Entries

I am obviously going for a multiple "single split units" where some are going to be ducted (concealed) and some are wall mounted.

The only remaining unclear issue is: "Inverter Split Units" VS "Fixed Speed Split Units".
    The country where this system is going to be installed has power problems. Can someone please comment on the power issue and the Inverter Split units? is it not as rugged as the fixed speed system?
    More electronic parts in inverter systems mean more possible damaged electronic parts because of bad power.

Maybe your climate is good for evaporative water chiller unit?