Thread: Gas-fired motor

Question Gas-fired motor

I went on a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries course a few weeks ago and the guy just touched on this.
    What it was, was a natural gas fired motor that drives the comp.
    I don't know much about the workings of this system, except that it can provide better heating at lower ambient temps(due to the motor producing heat) and that it is one of their most efficient systems available!

This might not be new to a lot of you, but it sure did fascinate me!!!
    Last edited by Coolie; 23-10-2004 at 09:22 AM.

Never underestimate anybody, you never know when they will make you look like an idiot!

Re: Gas-fired motor

Sounds like the Sanyo VRV which is powered by a gas fired engine. Just another way of powering the compresor

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Yes, there is a small article on it in Autumn issue of Service Engineer. They have installed it at GlaxoSmithklines site in Woking due to the lack of any additional electrical supply to the site.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Techogen http://www.tecogen.com/ has been making them for years. The maintanence costs on them seems pretty high. Not only do you need to service the reefer side but the engine side. Very few people I know of in this feild service the engine side. The ones we have serviced we subbed it out.

York tried this in the US a few years ago. Small stuff maybe up to 5 tons. It was one of their biggest failures ever. Briggs and Stratton engines driving the compressor. They ended up giving most of the people that had them a free heat pump.

A company in Belgium is making such a units
    http://www.skt.be/hosting/SKT/websit...&cat=Produkten

A B& S motor has a MTBO of 150 to 200 hours!! They're made for lawnmowers and generators.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Thumbs up Re: Gas-fired motor

Mitsi are making them, they use a engine to drive the compressor. Seen simular where a generator runs on gas, supplies 60% electric to building and the rad water goes into the swimming pool. Makes massive savings for energy

Denco were using these about 20 years ago for large swimming pool applications using a 1.6L ford engine and a rotacold rotary compressor. The function was to use the DX coil for de-hum and the engine exhaust for re-heat through a heat exchanger. It worked really well. Servicing was a bit wierd, it was like servicing your car at home but getting paid for it!!!

Hi Guys
    Im a Tech Manager for Sanyo if anybody needs any info on these let me know I would be happy to provide it . The Mitsu Heavy Unit is a 2 pipe cooling or heating only Vrf . Sanyo have the Only commercially available 3 pipe simultaneous unit on the market. The ghp never defrost and will give full heating capacity
    in an ambient down to -20 degrees c.The service on the engine is carried out every 10,000 run hours or every 3.5 years given the compressor runs 8 hours a day 5 days a week. While on cooling the cooling water from the engine can be used to heat a calorifier giving 22 kw of hot water FOC. We also do a full range of 2 pipe units which can be connected to an evaporator to provide chilled water. Or the system can be mixed with some chilled water and some Dx cooling. anyway Im waffling on a bit if any body wants any more info let me know

Bye
    T2

ps. If anybody knows where i can download a movie of the internal workings of an engine let me know im trying to put togeather a training presentation.
    Thanks
    T2
    Last edited by techguy; 22-08-2005 at 05:18 PM.

techguy

could you give me a catalogue for it?

rgds
    LC

Quote Originally Posted by CuGe View Post
    Denco were using these about 20 years ago for large swimming pool applications using a 1.6L ford engine and a rotacold rotary compressor. The function was to use the DX coil for de-hum and the engine exhaust for re-heat through a heat exchanger. It worked really well. Servicing was a bit wierd, it was like servicing your car at home but getting paid for it!!!
    I remember them :-)