"Brandt apollo" fridge/freezer getting as hot as an oven

I have a "Brandt apollo" CFA311WU frost free fridge/freezer. Two days ago the top half of the freezer compartment got very hot (almost like an oven) and the outside left hand side of cabinet also got VERY hot about 40 or 50 degrees hot. Everything in the freezer was melted and some things on the top basket were so hot they were almost at cooking temperatures. I turned it off, empted the freezer and left the door open so it could cool down. After about 50 minutes when it had almost cooled down I switched back on to see it
    still worked. The freezer then started up and was working as normal again. Then after 3 days of working normally the freezer did exactly the same thing again.

Can you tell me what is wrong, what is causing it to do this very hot heating up fault?

Re: "Brandt apollo" fridge/freezer getting as hot as an oven

HI GILDELTA, it sounds like its stuck on de-frost, but I am not formillia with your make of fridge usually when the stat swiches off , it can turn on an elecric heater- to de-frost could be the stats brocken in this mode,

Quote Originally Posted by sedgy View Post
    HI GILDELTA, it sounds like its stuck on de-frost, but I am not formillia with your make of fridge usually when the stat swiches off , it can turn on an elecric heater- to de-frost could be the stats brocken in this mode,
    But if it was broken in that mode then how come it starts working again after letting it cool down?

Also, I was told by the man who I got this fridge from, that the defrosting heater has been removed by an a repair man. He could not get a replacement heater so he give the fridge to me, this was years ago. I have had to manually defrost about 3 times a year since I owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by gildelta View Post
    I have a "Brandt apollo" CFA311WU frost free fridge/freezer. Two days ago the top half of the freezer compartment got very hot (almost like an oven) and the outside left hand side of cabinet also got VERY hot about 40 or 50 degrees hot. Everything in the freezer was melted and some things on the top basket were so hot they were almost at cooking temperatures. I turned it off, empted the freezer and left the door open so it could cool down. After about 50 minutes when it had almost cooled down I switched back on to see it
    still worked. The freezer then started up and was working as normal again. Then after 3 days of working normally the freezer did exactly the same thing again.

Can you tell me what is wrong, what is causing it to do this very hot heating up fault?
    I have just cought this fridge/freezer getting very hot again. I have removed the white back pannel to expose the condensor element. It is the condensor element that is getting very hot (it should be cold). Does anyone know what is causing this to get hot?

I have just cought this fridge/freezer getting very hot again. I have removed the white back pannel to expose the condensor element. It is the condensor element that is getting very hot (it should be cold). Does anyone know what is causing this to get hot?
    I have just been having a very close look inside this and I notice that it does have a heater element inter woven throughout the condensor element. The thermister is working correctly. The thermal fuse did not blow, so I have heated it with a hot air gun and now it has blown. I have reasembled the fridge and it is still working but now it will not be capable of doing an auto derost, but it will not get hot again and reach those very high cooking tempoatures.

Obviously: It must be the PCB brain that has been getting stuck on the defrost mode and unable to return to refridge mode. Does anyone know how I can fix this PCB faukt? and where will the PCB be found?

don,t go down the coal mine lad , theres plent of slack in thy pants

Quote Originally Posted by sedgy View Post
    Hi, Thanks.
    It was stuck on defrost mode. I bought a new one today, on monday I will take the old one to the tip.

hey gildelta, glad to be of service to you

Hi, Thanks.
    It was stuck on defrost mode. I bought a new one today, on monday I will take the old one to the tip.
    Just as a tempory get-by, I plugged it into 24 hour timer set at 2 hours on and 2 hours off. Doing that totally prevented it getting stuck in the drefrost mode. But the downside was that the freezer could only reach -12c. It got me through till I bough a new one.