Another liquid hammer problem

Hello all

Ive cruised this forum for years, only just joined. Thanks for having me. I work for a company that services and builds scientific refrigeration equipment mostly cascade systems. We recently built a large -30c walk-in. Its a redundant system with 2 seperate refrigeration systems, that cycle every 12 hours. Each condensing unit feeds 2 evaps. 2 evaps on 1 side , 2 on the other. The systems are electric defrost and each system has a subcooler piped so the liquid goes through the subcooler before it feeds the evaps. Each evap has a sv and a txv.

Now my problem is an incredibly severe hammering on 1 of the evaps liquid line. Keep in mind...only 1 evap, on 1 system ... the other system is fine and identical.

We changed both the svs and the txvs, to no avail

When installing these systems we installed a shader valve before the sv for evac and perging. When i hook up my gauges to this shrader the sound goes away. My boss had me, basicly take a piece of 7/8 copper, cap 1 side, and connect it to this shrader. This was several weeks ago and i only recently found out the problem is ocurring once again. I realize that between my hose and gauge, i am allowing a certain amount of expansion and contraction. After reading through your forum im worried my solenoid valves may be too large.

I was thinking an easy fix might be to connect a legth of cap tube to my shrader access and have that feed to an expansion tank, i could easily mount above the cieling. I realize someof you will want specs... you'll have them i the morrow.

thanks for your help. this is driving us crazy!

Re: Another liquid hammer problem

Hi captaincascade
    jsut a thought with the fluid hammer issue you could change the solaniod valve to a motorised version - danfos or something or look at your pipeing layout. If both systems are identicle your pipeing length or bends (charicteristics) would be the only difference.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincascade View Post
    Hello all

Ive cruised this forum for years, only just joined. Thanks for having me. I work for a company that services and builds scientific refrigeration equipment mostly cascade systems. We recently built a large -30c walk-in. Its a redundant system with 2 seperate refrigeration systems, that cycle every 12 hours. Each condensing unit feeds 2 evaps. 2 evaps on 1 side , 2 on the other. The systems are electric defrost and each system has a subcooler piped so the liquid goes through the subcooler before it feeds the evaps. Each evap has a sv and a txv.

Now my problem is an incredibly severe hammering on 1 of the evaps liquid line. Keep in mind...only 1 evap, on 1 system ... the other system is fine and identical.

We changed both the svs and the txvs, to no avail

When installing these systems we installed a shader valve before the sv for evac and perging. When i hook up my gauges to this shrader the sound goes away. My boss had me, basicly take a piece of 7/8 copper, cap 1 side, and connect it to this shrader. This was several weeks ago and i only recently found out the problem is ocurring once again. I realize that between my hose and gauge, i am allowing a certain amount of expansion and contraction. After reading through your forum im worried my solenoid valves may be too large.

I was thinking an easy fix might be to connect a legth of cap tube to my shrader access and have that feed to an expansion tank, i could easily mount above the cieling. I realize someof you will want specs... you'll have them i the morrow.

thanks for your help. this is driving us crazy!

Could the shrader be interfering with the flow??

taz.

Hello. Are there line receivers ?

Of course, there should be - maybe to put a larger one on this particular system ?

Blog Entries

Could you post refrigerant diagram here?

how close is the sv to the exp valve ?