lottie Guest

Fridge not cold enough

My fridge on my fridge-freezer is not getting cold. A week and a half ago I noticed it was not cold enough to keep the milk fresh for long enough but was at least cool but over the week its slowly got warmer. The frost free freezer section of the unit is working fine, although it was a little frosted up (just on the shelves) due to the door being left ajar.

This appliance is built in to the kitchen (cosmetically sealed it would seem as Im struggling to find a way to even pull it out without destroying the cupboard). I cant find a brand name on it, Im assuming it is on the back of the fridge-freezer.

Its a year and 10 months old. The fridge and freezer have seperate doors.

I have defrosted the freezer (letting the water run out into a bowl) thouroughly dried the inside of the freezer and turned it back on. The fridge appeared to get breifly and only slightly colder over night with a very slight frosting on the back (where the condensation had been). But by the end of the day that had gone and the fridge was back to pretty much room temp again.

It occasionally makes a brief mummering sound but not everytime you open and close the door. I cannot find a switch for the light anyway, could it be built into the hinge? The light does turn off when the door is closed.

I cant find any panels to remove inside the fridge or the freezer. The only thing I can find is a channel along the back bottom of the fridge with a hole and a plastic plug I assume for draining out any liquid. The plug does not fit in tightly, only rests in there, I assume to stop any foreign objects slipping in.

Please help if you can, I'm thinking this fridge-freezer is not fit for the tip as it did get cooler briefly, so surely something is working in there somewhere.

Re: Fridge not cold enough

Possibly a shortage of gas or a sticking diverter valve (if fitted). Either way it's a professional job but still probably cheaper than replacement unit.

Would say you haver a build up of ice behind the rear panel,if it's frost free and you are having to defrost a blockage is the likely cause.
    Unload and switch off for a minimum of 36 hours to allow ice behind back of freezer to melt,you can take out the back of the freezer and see the ice and then use a hair dryer to help speed it up.Cold air for the fridge is blown up channels from the freezer which block with ice.SWITCH OFF first and no sharp metal objects!!

How long has it been installed, maybe it's just too well sealed in the cupboard, should have good ventilation to work correctly. Check for an air gap under the fridge where the bottom panel is.

Al