Thread: College

College

Hey I've been an ac apprentice for 6 months now. My company are trying to get me in to a college for September. The college they want me too go too won't take me as I'm 20 years old and haven't got grades a - c in maths English and science. This has put a downer on me what's the chances of me getting in to a college? My company wouldn't get rid of me if I didn't go college but I can't go for other jobs when I'm older as I wouldn't have the certificates. I absoloutley love my job just hope I get in to a college.

Re: College

Quote Originally Posted by Deano240 View Post
    Hey I've been an ac apprentice for 6 months now. My company are trying to get me in to a college for September. The college they want me too go too won't take me as I'm 20 years old and haven't got grades a - c in maths English and science. This has put a downer on me what's the chances of me getting in to a college? My company wouldn't get rid of me if I didn't go college but I can't go for other jobs when I'm older as I wouldn't have the certificates. I absoloutley love my job just hope I get in to a college.

Which college were you trying for?

Gravesend college

Quote Originally Posted by Deano240 View Post
    Gravesend college
    If you are over 19 your company will have to pay for you. Because you are over 19 you do not have to do key skills (maths, english and IT).

So there is no requirements for you to have a to c's in your core subjects, but if Gravesend set that as a minimum, that is their call and they can set the bar at any height they want.

Ask them if you can do an entrance exam to prove your knowledge and try to get in that way.

I can understand their selectin process, because level 2 does require you to do sciences and maths.

Cheers taz.

luke2009 Guest

I go to gravesend college doing an NVQ level 3 and the reason they are so tight on who gets in or not is because they have too many pople applying for too few places. you could try asking them to let you do an entry exam or to put you on a list for the next years class

cameron Guest

long way round but go back and do your maths ect open learning, night classes.....

Got around it! company paying for a private college. Very intensive and LOADS of pressure on me now. Il be qualified in a year!

try hope college in walthamstow thay also do saterdays

I was on the very first City & Guilds course held by (NWK) Northwest Kent College in Miskin Rd Dartford in 1996.
    We trained in part of the Hall's Training centre under a really good guy called Bill Stevens . I understand the college closed and it moved to Gravesend. I am sick a tired of hearing about entrance exams and minimum standards, as I, as an adult student, when I gained a place at college,without any formal qualifications, passed all my City & Guilds with flying colours, and secured a job in commercial refrigeration soon after leaving college.
    I think ANYONE with an interest in ANY subject can do well if they apply themselves, and if you find a good company, as an improver, with the help of experienced engineers you can do very well..NEVER give up is my advice, if you can read and write, then you can pass ANY exam with the right teachers behind you.
    Good Luck
    Duc, sequere, aut de via decede - Lead, follow, or get out of the way !

Dean-123 Guest

Hey, im 20. I don't have an A - C in maths or science and i live 70 miles from the nearest course. I have to go to college 2 nights a week i get home at 11pm, i also work during the day in my apprenticeship. But before my 2 years is up at college i have to get a certificate in numeracy level or i dont get my nvq.

Theirs always a way in. My college comprimised. A lot of places make comprimises like these, sometimes just to get a paying student. You just have to look around. You could even to a basic block course. Get a technical certificate, gas handling etc and just rely on experience for future jobs, theirs a couple of engineers at my company and all they have is gas handling. But they are just as skillfull as qualified engineers.

its all sorted im doing it with taiga training now be qualified in 9 months

There is funding for apprentices up to 24 years old but it is reduced for over nineteens. The grades thing is up to the college I know at Grimsby they accept students with lower grades and sort out the key skills requirements for the framework if necessary. There are other funding options available at most colleges.
    I am a bit worried that anybody could be qualified in 18 months from scratch under an NVQ level 2.
    I cant see how you could pick up all the practical competencies in that short time.

Ian
    Pooh