F-Gas regs, what are the penalties?

Hi

In the UK just out of interest what would be the penalties be for letting 60 kilos of R22 out of 35 air con units be ?

The local travelers have parked up in an old 3 story office block, the building is being torn down in a few months, it has (or should i say had) about 50 split system air con units all over it and they have helped them selves to the copper pipe, roofing lead and building electrical wiring, even the Alu window frames have gone!

The condensors are still on their brackets but all the pipework that they can get to has been cut off, and they aint pumped those bad boys down have they.

What a waist of R22, I want some but can't buy Aghhhhhhh!

All the systems were old IMO, and Fujitsu, now thay are just scrap metal, or big door stops!

Airconlad.

Re: F-Gas regs, what are the penalties?

Unless there are witnesses who saw the R22 being vented, probably no penalties at all. If they were penalised, you can bet they would simply 'move on' and not pay anyway.

That is assuming the local environmental department hasn't already had the splits evacuated prior to demolition.

You would need to be very brave to confront the travellers to make them aware of the responsibilities. Second thought, thta sentence contains at least two words that cannot really be used in the same sentence.
    You could try contacting the local authority to see if they are interested in investigating, but you could then find yourself named on a complaint document which means that you are traceable to all and sundry, not wise.

Are the fines and penalties the same in all Europe countries or do they vary? I think in South Africa there is no law to stop you letting out r22 in the air.

Actually a good question that ive wounder myself. Guess there is no penalties when letting out the R22 under term of f-gas reg. Other way there some rules in enviroment part of law...

Like in sweden we have law that controll this aware or unaware of letting gas comes out in the air...
    Its say the fine is 1000 Euro to start with. Then how is judged... There will be 2 choice, 1: another 50 Euro for every kg that have been letting out in air or prison for maximum 2 years... Havent heard anybody got prison in refrigeration area atleast...

A suitable solution for this situation would be to board up the entrances to the block with the Pikeys inside, set charges and fire...Granted that any refrigerant still in units that are untouched would be released but it would be a small price to pay..

A thought occours that perhaps the owner of the block may actually be pleased that they have cut out the copper and released the refrigerant because he no longer needs to have to pay to have them decommissioned... Surprised that they haven't had the units too
    Karl

Just in case anyone is confused.
    R22 is not covered by F gas regs.
    It comes under the O.D.P. set of regs.

I'm with Karl as to the remidy!
    Mind with reclaimed at £13.00 a kilo
    and rising.
    I suspect even the pikies will realise it's value soon.
    Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by airconlad View Post
    Hi

In the UK just out of interest what would be the penalties be for letting 60 kilos of R22 out of 35 air con units be ?

The local travelers have parked up in an old 3 story office block, the building is being torn down in a few months, it has (or should i say had) about 50 split system air con units all over it and they have helped them selves to the copper pipe, roofing lead and building electrical wiring, even the Alu window frames have gone!

The condensors are still on their brackets but all the pipework that they can get to has been cut off, and they aint pumped those bad boys down have they.

What a waist of R22, I want some but can't buy Aghhhhhhh!

All the systems were old IMO, and Fujitsu, now thay are just scrap metal, or big door stops!

Airconlad.
    Travelers, you are too polite, I think you mean THIEVING PIKEY SCUM?

What is pikey please?

Quote Originally Posted by Frikkie View Post
    What is pikey please?

Pikey is a derogatory term for a Taverler or Gypsy in the UK.

Cheers taz.

Quote Originally Posted by taz24 View Post
    Pikey is a derogatory term for a Taverler or Gypsy in the UK.

Cheers taz.

Wouldn't see it as a derogatory term, that would suggest they have some kind of class or social standing!

Shame those untermenschen didn`t use burning gear on the units maybe then there`d be a few less of those thieving !"£$%^&*

Quote Originally Posted by glenn1340 View Post
    Shame those untermenschen didn`t use burning gear on the units maybe then there`d be a few less of those thieving !"£$%^&*
    Strong word, untermensch is quite racist. Why does everyone hate people for being homeless? Is it a history from fighting?

Strong word, untermensch is quite racist. Why does everyone hate people for being homeless? Is it a history from fighting?
    They aren't homeless.

They live in caravans and travel around the country parking up en-masse anywhere they please - private land, shopping centre car parks, industrial estates etc.

They leave the place like a pig-sty when they move on, piles of rubbish, burnt out cars and the like.

The local taxpayers have to pay to clean up the mess they leave behind, while they live in luxury caravans worth £25000+ and never pay any tax on the proceeds from their lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

The local taxpayers have to pay to clean up the mess they leave behind, while they live in luxury caravans worth £25000+ and never pay any tax on the proceeds from their lifestyle.
    But they do know how to work the system and ensure that they get every single bit of benefit that is available to them.

They are not homeless, they`ve got more money than most of us here will ever have. They don`t pay any taxes, and claim all the benefits going. They are thieves and the police won`t touch them as they`d need the army to venture into thier camps. I had my van and all the tools nicked by them and the old bill didn`t want to know even when I told them where the van had been taken.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn1340 View Post
    They are not homeless, they`ve got more money than most of us here will ever have. They don`t pay any taxes, and claim all the benefits going. They are thieves and the police won`t touch them as they`d need the army to venture into thier camps. I had my van and all the tools nicked by them and the old bill didn`t want to know even when I told them where the van had been taken.
    They sound like problem with stealing. Why do the police not be interested?
    Maybe you need to do the same way we have. If skollies and thieves make trouble and the police are too busy we have a local neighborhood watch to find them and ask them to please stop the old fashioned way.

ADVICE : When it got dark,you should have hooked up some bottles of nice fresh Co2 and feed the discharge pipes into the caravan air vents. A quick & cheap solution to a rising problem...
    Duc, sequere, aut de via decede - Lead, follow, or get out of the way !

If it's anything like australia, you will only be penalized if you have a license. I have to account for every gram, penalty is loss of license and a fine, but they don't really take joe public to court and prosecute them for releasing refrigerant...yet.
    They don't even pursue installers here.
    We have two licenses, installers/fridgies licence which allow you to use refrigerant, this is what the typical fridgie has to work, and what plumbers and electricans have to install split systems. No one in authority cares about them.
    Then we have the refrigerant purchasing licence, this is what everyone must have to purchase refrigerants from wholesalers, so all refrig companies have this as well as sole traders. This is all the government cares about, they don't care about doodgy installers installing leaking system, they don't care about joe public letting their a/c leak when they cut it up for copper, they only care about the guy repairing a leaking system.
    Anyone else without a licence can have massive refrigerant releasing parties and no one cares at the moment. Every single a/c that's left kerbside or in a building getting demolished gets it's copper ripped out, letting all the refrigerant out down here. The government only cares if it's a license holder or a large company they can fine for heaps of money.
    Last edited by paul_h; 08-09-2009 at 05:06 PM.