nicholaslsa Guest

Is R22 - Chlorodifluoromethane corrosive?

Hi guys,

I'm new in RE, please help me out on this matter.

I've a problem in this refrigerant gas R22, a leak in the system as cause some paint to be "eaten up".

I'll like to know if R22 is corrosive? As I could not find any infomation of it on the net.

Thanks

Re: Is R22 - Chlorodifluoromethane corrosive?

probably system oil reacting with paint
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Extreme temperature difference could have damaged paint.

Try searching the web again, there is a wealth of data sheets out there.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hi Nicholasla
    Welcome to RE. R22 becomes acidic when exposed to moisture or over heating, the oil as mentioned above.

use a better quality paint applied as per instructions,the only thing i know about 22 being corrosive is that it tends to scour the pipework due to velocity i think.

can anybody enlighten me on this autoduh has kicked in
    Last edited by lowcool; 06-08-2009 at 01:05 AM.
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

All the HCFC and CFC refrigerants are solvents and most will dilute oil-based paints...and many familiar solvents were subject to the same limitations as refrigerants in consequence of the Montreal Protocol.

The original dry cleaning fluids are chemically similar to most refrigerants: This from Wikipedia:

Before they became strictly regulated, the general public often encountered haloalkanes as paint and cleaning solvents such as trichloroethane (1,1,1-trichloroethane) and carbon tetrachloride (tetrachloromethane), pesticides like 1,2-dibromoethane (EDB, ethylene dibromide), and refrigerants like *****-22 (duPont trademark for chlorodifluoromethane). Some haloalkanes are still widely used for industrial cleaning, such as methylene chloride (dichloromethane), and as refrigerants, such as R-134a (1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane).
    Haloalkenes have also been used as solvents, including perchloroethylene (Perc, tetrachloroethene), widespread in dry cleaning, and trichloroethylene (TCE, 1,1,2-trichloroethene). Other haloalkenes have been chemical building blocks of plastics such as polyvinyl chloride ("vinyl" or PVC, polymerized chloroethene) and Teflon (duPont trademark for polymerized tetrafluoroethene, PTFE).

So be careful what you use for a cleaner around refrigerants....Besides the carcinogenics, most of these are Central Nervous System depressants (and there's more fun ways to kill brain cells) and a few are hallucinogenic.