Question UV dye : why is it bad for a fridge system?

I have used Spectroline Dye in a few difficult cases where the leak wouldn't show itself. Works great. But certain manufacturers will void their warranty. For example, Daikin told me that only two "components" are allowed in their system: refrigerant and oil. And they have had cases where it corrodes the lead seals on the expansion valves. Others say check with the compressor manufacturer. Anyone had any damage caused directly by using dye or know other reasons why?

Re: UV dye : why is it bad for a fridge system?

me again i have used it a lot and am now selling it quite a bit never once had a problem.... also asked a few comp makers and they were happy enough with that product (daikin was not one)... i guess the only thing to be careful of is the actual amount that is put into the system

We use it on most jobs, after we have carried out the repair if it is a big job with a fair amount of charge we will use it to make future fault finding easier. Makes it handy at maintenance visits to have a quick look around with your goggles and UV lamp.

As for daikin....i have never had daikin honour a warranty claim, they always seem to find something wrong or dsomething to dispute so it doesn't surprise me that they say no to it.

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear. It certainly beats the electronic leak detectors (which are rubbish), and a great alternative to leak detector spray.

Quote Originally Posted by jdunc2301 View Post
    As for daikin....i have never had daikin honour a warranty claim, they always seem to find something wrong or dsomething to dispute so it doesn't surprise me that they say no to it.
    I am surprised to hear that. I have changed the odd compressor or leaky condenser coil on systems under 1 year old, and they have been fine with it. Never even took the old parts back, just sent a new one! Although to be fair to you, I have no dealings with warranty claims .... big company ..... just the bloke at the coal face!!

It is just another easy excuse for manufacturers to use to reject compressor warranty claims. No real reason why it'd be harmful in a system as long as it's used in the correct quantities. The main manufacturer I can recall that doesn't like the stuff is Danfoss (and subsidiaries, notably Maneurop).

There was a thread about 1 1/2 monthes ago (some 5 or 6 hundreds threads "ago"), cannot find it now - someone complained: pipes insides had covered with some nasty substance after using....I may be wrong, but there was meant the UV sensitive paint (or dye).