vette Guest

Calorex 510 Pool Heat pump - used

I'm wondering I someone has a suggestion on buying a used Calorex 510 Heat pump with some problems. The pump wasn't running for 8 years, before that it did only run about 120 h. Seller is telling that it need to be serviced and that that would cost about 1200 Euros. (Maybe the comp. needs to be replaced. He doesn't know whats the problem is.) He sells the Heat pump for 300 Euro's. Is it a good deal? Can a Compressor be fixed? What does a replacement cost. Are there some quick checks to find out the defects.
    Thanks for any kind of help.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Calorex 510 Pool Heat pump - used

Anything can be fixed it just depends on whether it is a worthwhile expenditure.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

These are fitted with an Aspera compressor, expect to pay around £400.00 plus fitting. If you can find out the serial number, it will tell you how old it is. They are good Heat Pumps and generally worth repairing, as long as the heat exchanger isn't leaking. Make sure there is gas in the system.

vette Guest

Thanks for all the answers so far. The seller told me that the system doesn't leaking and that there might me still some cooling fluid in (he's not sure). What would one of you ask the seller in addition if you yourself would think to buy the system?

vette Guest

The Serial Nr. is 60316/B98 --> this means it's a 1998 model, right? What is the exact replacement part for the compressor?

Yes it is a 98 model. So for a Calorex not that old really. The compressor depends on if it is an AW510AL or AW510BL model. Ring Calorex service line for info. It may not be a compressor fault, but could be a capacitor fault. Check these first as a much cheaper option than a new compressor.

vette Guest

I talked to the seller again. According to him, the heat pump was installed for 8 years at a customer site, but was not used at all for 8 years. Before they deinstalled the pump they tried to start it. It did not start, the control lamp(s) do only light slightly. He thinks that after so many year not running, the compressor needs some work for shure.
    You mentioned the capacitor could be the problem? This could be a possible problem for starting problems, right? And what is your experience in the area of compressor service work needed, when it wasn't running for a long periode of time?

Hi, the compressor may not have failed, chances are the capacitors are dead, then another possibility is the time delay relay on the compressor, usually 6 minutes. if after a good 10 minutes has passed then this may have also failed, I will dig out my books and see if there is a defrost timer holding the unit off, but even so that will only apply depending on the outside ambient temperature when you tested it. But not sure about the defrost...will look.

Must check that the pool water condenser is not leaking, check for positive pressure in the system. If theres no possitive pressure dont buy it!
    I would put money on a failed evaporator fan motor, capacitor or time delay relay rather than a compressor, but you never know

As far as compressor replacement goes, it's not a big job, must change the drier, capacitors including fan capacitors, time delay relay. Only a qualified engineer should attempt it .
    I wouldn't count on alot of change from £800.00-£1100.00

Im a calorex service agent.

If it was installed for 8 years and then not used for 8 years, that would make it 16 years old, when it is only 11 years old. Or it was installed and has never been used, which makes it almost as good as new, sounds a bit strange to me. The compressor is a sealed unit so it is not a serviceable item. If the Heat Pump has not been used for 8 years the compressor may have ceased up. If so it will need replacing. This means spending a lot of money on it which could go towards a new heat pump, which will have all new components and a warranty. The unit will not run unless there is water flowing through it, as there is a water pressure switch. You are correct about the capacitor.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIZEL010 View Post
    The unit will not run unless there is water flowing through it, as there is a water pressure switch. You are correct about the capacitor.

Forgot about the pressure switch

Quote Originally Posted by jdunc2301 View Post

Forgot about the pressure switch

Fail!

I'm telling Andy about you!