mis-matched walk-in cooler system

Greetings to all !! I have a customer who purchased his own replacement outdoor condenser from " friends " . Of course, when it doesn't work, I get the call. Unit is designed to deliver 26700 btu. Medium temp R22 condenser. Unit placed on walk-in cooler that only requires 14500 btu heavy use rated. The evap coil is 22 years old and....yes you guessed it...leaks like a screen door. But coil not part of the " week-end deal ". My disaster is this...I need to replace evap coil ASAP. Closest semi-match is a 20800 btu evap. Next option is convince customer to do the right thing and start over. Match new condenser with sized evaporator...15600 btu model. My question is this...am I missing an easier " fix " using the oversized condenser? Short cycling is a definite problem. I say bite the bullet and change the entire system to properly size the cooler. Any views I haven't considered??? The customer always knows more than we do..right ??? Thanks for the opinions. Have a great day.

Don't leave it like you found it.....Leave it like it should be !!!

Re: mis-matched walk-in cooler system

An oversized condenser is even better;
    Your evaporator must match your compressor
    If the evaporator is leaking and that old, replace it and change also the gas in the meantime while you're replacing this and lost all your charge.
    Last edited by Peter_1; 23-07-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Customers like this piss me off, he will no doubt expect you to replace part of the system but then offer warentee on who system as a whole?

IMO offer a new install or nothing at all. Its just not worth the agro!

i'm with peter and greg new system...
    reasons being f gas regs r22 is on its way out... equip too old ... new equip will be smaller +cheaper to run.... most of all peace of mind

Thanks for the feedback. You won't get any argument out of me about doing it the right way the first time. Just read my tag line. My situation has changed since posting the question and think it is for the best...for a change. I have another customer who is now in need of EXACTLY the same unit incorrectly installed on the roof. So I am using all my powers of salesmanship to " buy back " the oversized condenser, install the correct condenser/evaporator and use the buy back for cust.#2. It looks like a WIN...WIN...WIN... situation, finally. Maybe the Refrigeration God read my other post in chit chat stories about my recent $5000.00 break-in ...not applied to insurance since I want insurance next year....and took pity on me to set me up with a deal. I am a firm believer in...what goes around comes around. I live to treat others as I hope to be treated. So...it looks like all worked out for the best. Thanks for thinking about my question and hope I can help you guys....and gals...if you ask and I know !!! Stay safe...work smart...and treat em right.
    Don't leave it like you found it.....Leave it like it should be !!!