Isa Gelato Case at -18

Hello all...
    Let me start by saying I sooooo do not belong on this forum. I own a little gelato shop in Ohio. We have this case:
    *I guess I can't put a url in here until I post more*
    It is the Isa Gelato case Samoa style? I am not at work, so can't be more specific right now.
    Ours is the one that fits 14 gelatos.

The manual that came with this thing is terrible. A few months ago we had a problem with it.. I managed to take some panels off and locate the drainage tube way down in the bottom that was clogged, which made a couple inches of ice accumulate. So, we were able to problem solve.

But now, we have a different problem.
    1. The temp on the machine was -18 this morning.
    2. Trying to reset the temp, I am given a range of I think 1.5 as a high to negative something as a low. Previously, it was different. We kept it around 6 to 8 degrees F.
    3. There are two switches. One is for the light. The other for power. I turned both off, and unplugged it for a while. When I plugged it back in, something started running, even though the power was not yet turned on.

We do have a tech coming to look at it. But, we are going to lose business waiting for him, he has an unusually large amount of calls to get to which is understandable. I figured it can't hurt to ask around in the meantime.

My questions if anyone can help...

1. What the heck is the 1.5 deal?? Is that supposed to be a temperature or something? What happened to my 6-8 deg F? I was very happy with my 6-8 lol.

2. Why is my machine running without being turned on? Should I call Ghostbusters? Strangely enough, we also own a bbq place next door and had our fire alarm go off for 20 min straight even though we disarmed the system, then disconnected the batteries in the system box. Kinda creepy. But anyways...

3. Nevermind, I guess those are my 2 questions.

If anyone can give me any clues, or something to try while waiting, I would certainly appreciate it!

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Isa Gelato Case at -18

Hi, could be that one of the switches has failed in the ON position.

Hopefully someone who kows these things will be along to help out soon.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Controller relay contacts stuck/welded together or controller fubar'ed.

Its got too cold because it isn't ever turning off.

Needs a new controller. Or a switch.

tend to agree with monkey,99% sure controller switches the neutral,are the fans running also if so eprom holds controller functions and is confused,as your display shows,new controller req.
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

Thanks so much. We are expecting someone tomorrow. I have no clue what you guys are talking about on the specifics... but YES, it seems like it just won't turn off. And YES, fubar. Or at least fub ability to even dig into what should be a creamy delicious dessert.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that if it needs a new switch or other part, it does not need to be ordered from Italy.

I didn't think to mention this by the way... a big power surge went through our building next door to the gelato shop just a few days prior to this. Completely fried our computer, bypassed our surge protector, and fried our backup hard drive.

Good times.

Now I am wondering if this power surge has something to do with that alarm sounding, (despite being disarmed) and now the gelato case next door staying on even though it is NOT switched on. Hmmm.

I will update for anyone interested! Thanks again.

A power surge is definitely capable of welding the relay in the ON position. I think that is the reason why. Amazing how the relay fried, but not the display.
    ISA Gelato machines are produced in Italy. Website http://www.isaitaly.com

gday gridley
    havent heard fubar for a long time thought it was a dying part of the english language.ive fitted dixell controller in place of original(probably an elliwell controller,to hard to source in aust)without problem.a good fridgie worth his salt should have it done in no time give or take an hour or so,most low temperature controllers will do the job

No update. Even though I was told on Saturday that someone would be there Monday.. I personally talked to him for about 5 min on the phone, joked around with him, etc... now he won't answer calls or respond to voicemail. I called the original number and was told we were not on the books yet. Lovely.

Now we have a call in to a local guy who knows these Italian machines, but he is booked for the next 2 days.

We have to open our shop! We have lost 2 days of business so far. We are thinking about plugging it in and just keeping it on and off all day to try and maintain a decent temperature for serving. *shrug* Not sure what our choices are at this point.

dont forget to defrost it at end of trade

Is it typical to just sit around and wait and get blown off by someone like this?? My husband called back yesterday and was told we were not on the books. Grrr!!! I have called the same guy I talked to on Saturday and left messages, no reply.

I know you can't help me with that part... just venting.

Strangely, the case worked FINE half the day. The numbers went back into normal looking numbers, it stayed around 12 or 13, which is a few degrees warmer than what we usually keep it, but that is what seemed to work. But by evening, it started to do it's super duper extreme freezing bullcrap again. I did the manual defrost every so often to keep it from getting too cold, but had to just unplug it and store all the gelato in the regular freezer overnight. Guess we are doing the same thing tomorrow. Hopefully one of the two people we have tried to schedule will show up or at least contact us.

Thanks for letting me vent.

there is a relay/contactor stuck you find that when it sticks a gentle kick breaks the contats and the unit will cut off and sometimes lasts until the engineer gets there

The engineer came. He said he has never seen one of these display that dot. It isn't a decimal point because it is between the numbers at the TOP, not the bottom. He reset all the temps, parameters, etc. Cleaned off a contact, which he said wasn't abnormally dirty. It worked great for 2 days.

Now it is back to freezing down to negatives.

Can we just replace the contacts?? Think that would help? Are you serious about the gentle kick? Because honestly it makes sense lol!

The display will look like this:

1'5 (but a dot instead of an apostrophe). Normally that should say something like 5 or 6.

So annoyed. *sigh*

I think you will find that the dot at the top of the controller display is to indicate that the compressor is powered on. When the dot is not visible the compressor should be off.

the fella who looked at your display,probably didnt know what he was looking at,i agree with the kiwiman,the contacts in question could be anything as i dont know your model.i am very certain that the replacement of the controller is required.ie if everything else is fine the controller is at fault its fubar
    Last edited by lowcool; 14-07-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: havent said fubar for a few of days,warm and fuzzy now

Interesting about the dot. I will keep an eye on that and see if it matches up with when the compressor is on. Thanks

We had someone else look at it, since it was basically working ok for a day or two, then back to going in the negatives for a few... He said what the last post said. There was one single contact and it was apparently getting stuck randomly, and we have a new control panel ordered. He said we should easily be able to install it ourselves. So once we do that, hopefully things will be good.

I think when we are closed during the night, my various pieces of equipment plot against me. I know for sure my espresso machine holds a grudge against me.

Just an update:

My shop is now closed.
    The gelato case is the same. Never resolved, and I can't sell it.
    Sucks!

sad to hear gridley