How to build a refrigerated warehouse

Hello its my first time in the chat
    by the way my english its not so good so if i make a mistake i'm sorry

Basically I got a trouble, I work in research and developing projects, my boss gave me a new task and it’s about getting some basic information to build a refrigerated warehouse, he wants to make it of 1500m2 cause that’s what some friends of his recommend.
    I don’t know anything about this I hope I could get some help and tip where to find this info and maybe some recommendations to help me start.
    The warehouse its meant for all purpose of frozen food, the tempeture of my country its around 30 celciums, I think I need info for the doors, the panels, the perfect tempeture, the storage, software’s, personal and other stuff I actually don’t know
    I appreciate all the help I could get and thanks for your time
    My email is aletate@hotmail.com, i gave this because i dont know how to get in this conversation for the next time

Re: How to build a refrigerated warehouse

I hope someone answer to at least parts of it, I am going to write and try to make the perfect warehouse for my reference and everybody that what’s to make one or use it like a thesis (that is another thing I am doing, killing to birds at the same time J)
    I appreciate when the question are answer to put the number so nobody gets lost

• In my country there’s a huge need of cold especially for food, so I don’t know which area it’s more profit to refrigerate from food and which one has more demand. Knowing this we could know more about the size of the warehouse and its freezers. At these moments we are thinking about 3 freezers of 1500 mt2 and 1 cooling tunnel.

(It could be more or less depending of the research).
    1) Why is the ammoniac more dangerous than the *****? I heard that both are toxic? Is it more dangerous because the ammoniac leaks?
    • 2) How does the ammoniac alarm or sensors work?
    • 3) Whats the difference between freezer and chiller?
    • 4) Before connecting the truck to the dock would it help to put a portable refrigerator to cool it down? Why?
    • 5) What’s the difference between direct cooling systems and indirect?

Direct cooling is when you use refrigerant in your evaporators within cold room - this is "must" for low temperature rooms below -18C
    Indirect cooling is when you use primary refrigerant ammonia/***** to cool down glycol (we call that primary refrigeration circuit) and then you pump cooled glycol through your room coolers to cool your goods - applicable for your chillers and for A/C rooms.
    Benefits of indirect cooling are: less refrigerant in primary circuit, less valves, connections i.e. less places for possible leaks, more safe.
    Bad of indirect: little bit higher installation and running costs due to double cooling circuits.
    (This info right or something is missing)

• 6) What is FIFO?
    • 7) What tempeture should be use outside the freezers but in the warehouse?

If you keep the docks at about 35°F (1.6°C) to 45°F (7.2°C) this will remove a large percentage of the moisture as a liquid on the coils in the dock area. These evaporators should be blowing air towards the dock doors.

• 8) Why do we have to unfreeze some process and places?
    • 9) It’s better to use hot gas o electricity to unfreeze?

Hot gas

• 10) If the warehouse its build underground at least part of it would the energy cost would be cheaper?
    • 11) There are 3 kind of freezer? Why? What about pharmaceutics?

One for vegetable, eggs, wood. One for meat, fish and chicken. One for fast food

• 12) Why the doors have to be of rubber and go up and down and not to the sides? Why can’t it be a sliding door or a double door like the submarines?
    • 13) Which doors got the best technology and which has the best price and good technology?
    • 14) How the humidity does plays in this game? And what does it affects?
    • 15) Which brands of stock picker truck or pallet truck are consider the best?
    • 16) How much space between stand should leave so the pallet truck can turn around?
    • 17) How could I optimize the space of the freezer, it’s there a free program or some calculus that could help me to put the stands?
    • 18) Which stands are better? Which dimension fit all? Witch materials are good for it?
    • 19) What’s the perfect height for the freezer?

2002 ASHRAE Refrigeration Handbook: 8.5 to 10.5 m

• 20) How much space should I leave between the boxes (paletas) in the stand that are in the freezer?

a)5 cm floor to box, the space for the pallet truck to get the box and 5 cm to the roof
    b)5 % of the total volume of the boxes
    c)10cm between the lines of boxes, a 25cm gap from the walls and a 75cm gap between the ceiling panel

• 21) Could I use the cold air of the refrigerate tunnel (when I finish using it) to cold something at the warehouse?
    • 22) What is that about cleaning with ozone water? What for? And why this type of water?
    • 23) Most of freezers have 100% air, why others need 98% of nitrogen or other material?
    • 24) What’s a panel? How are they build? Which foam its better? How do you hang them from the roof? Why not make a structure from the floor to hold it? Why put on top of the floor panel concrete?
    • 25) How does it work freezing by gas at a lot of pressure? Why? Should be more expensive?
    • 26) Does the cold affects to put a RDF system?
    • 27) Is it true that you could say that 1 m2 needs 500 BTU approximate?
    • 28) How much it’s a ton of cold?
    • 29) If somebody has something to add I will appreciate

Thanks for helping in anything you can and helping other people with this question, I will keep in touch, to tell how the project its going, to ask knew things and to a port others things that mite help us all to be better engineers and business men’s and women.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: How to build a refrigerated warehouse

Please do not post your questions more than once.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015