Thread: fridge probs

mjpaff Guest

fridge probs

ok, the other day i noticed the side of the fridge was hot. recently the ice maker stopped working. then slowly but surely weve been lowering the thermostat to its coldest setting. i have a coldspot, kenmore, model 106.72104100. the freezer is on top. i vacuumed the inside of the bottom of the fridge in the rear including any copper tubing. im not sure if its getting water or if the fan down there turns...how often should it turn? any help would be appreciated. i want to try and avoid getting help- money. and i want to avoid buying a new one if something simple is wrong. could everything be due to a single problem? THANKS!

Re: fridge probs

Quote Originally Posted by mjpaff View Post
    ok, the other day i noticed the side of the fridge was hot. recently the ice maker stopped working. then slowly but surely weve been lowering the thermostat to its coldest setting. i have a coldspot, kenmore, model 106.72104100. the freezer is on top. i vacuumed the inside of the bottom of the fridge in the rear including any copper tubing. im not sure if its getting water or if the fan down there turns...how often should it turn? any help would be appreciated. i want to try and avoid getting help- money. and i want to avoid buying a new one if something simple is wrong. could everything be due to a single problem? THANKS!

The first thing to do is unplug it.
    Let it stand for a good 24 hours with the door ajar.
    Wrap towels all around it on the floor to soak up any water.

Switch it on and let it run overnight, then see what it does.

Some fridge - freezers do ice up and a defrost sorts them.

If the fan is faulty then it will need the attention of an engineer.

cheers taz.

Re: fridge probs

The fan down there should be running if compressor is running, and the side of cabinet is hot .. often the manufacturer will run a discharge pipe around the front side to stop area sweating where door seal contact, So if fan down there does not run / faulty, and side is hot, equals high head pressure, low performance, and something will blow soon probably the compressor. Get the fan down there replaced, then the icemaker will probably kick in, it wont make ice with high suction pressures. Lowering the setting of control thermostat won't do anything.
    You may be able to get a fan motor from local service co and replace it yourself. Generally a small shaded pole type motor. Whatever do something soon.
    magoo