Martin Vasilev Guest

Question Compressor stops after 30 seconds due to high discharge pressure?

Hello to all I want to ask you for little help.
    I am not actually Air cond. technician but at the moment I am dealing with one and I have some troubles.
    I am talking about a marine air cond. system.This is a chiller system with sea water cooling. There are two very same systems.One is working one is stand by. I have the following problem with one of the systems: the compressor starts and stops 3-4 times and cools normal.But after some time the compressor starts and stops after 20 seconds due to high pressure settings of the pressostat.
    some info: the outside cooling water is around 30 degrees.the weather is very hot.when I touch the condenser I see that is one third of it is cool and two thirds are hot.after several minutes it becomes hot all hot, of course with some differences between the upper and lower part of the condenser.The ***** is R22.The discharge pressure of the problem ones system is 23 bar and of the normal working is 19. I should tell you also that the condenser of the not proper working system is little bit smaller , but it was working without problems 2 months.could it be from overcharged ***** ?Can you help me to solve this problem?

P.S.
    I already checked the inlet sea water filter and I cleaned the condenser.

Blog Entries

Re: Compressor stops after 30 seconds due to high discharge pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Vasilev View Post
    The discharge pressure of the problem ones system is 23 bar and of the normal working is 19. I should tell you also that the condenser of the not proper working system is little bit smaller , but it was working without problems 2 months.could it be from overcharged ***** ?
    Yes it could be overcharged or air in system. Remove some charge and check pressure and sight glass. If sight glass is still clear and pressure drops after some removal of refrigerant than you have overcharge.

Martyn.
    If the reason you ask about the errant system being overcharged.
    Is because the system charge has recently been altered then yes indeed Nike's comments about overcharge are very relevant.
    If on the other hand this problem is recent as your post implies, it could as you suggest be directly related to the poor TD across the Condenser.
    As the water temperature into the condenser increases it's ability to extract / remove the Discharge S/heat diminishes.
    Basically if the issues reduces with a drop in sea water temp.
    It is condenser size related.
    If it is possible you could try increaseing the flow through the condenser?
    Try checking the pump strainers.
    What is the Temperature Diff across the Condenser?
    Grizzly
    Last edited by Grizzly; 01-07-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Martin Vasilev Guest

I have released some ***** and the working pressure drop little bit. 0,3-0,4 bar. last 45 minutes it is working properly.I am not sure if my collegue had put additional *****.I will see how it is workingf and I will drop additional ***** if needed.I don't have termometers for the cooling water but I think the differences is about 6-7-8 degrees.
    About the inlet strainer I cleaned it already.The valves are fully open. I will watch it today to see is there going to be improvement due to the ***** releasing.If you have othes suggestions also , I will be glad to hear more.

Thanks guys

Martin Vasilev Guest

and yes, the condenser is properly sized, maybe little bit smaller , but it ok because it have worked on even higher tempearures.Other thing is that the system is made not for such extreme conditions but we don't have choice for this summer.The space that has to be cooled is big and we even close the damper for the air inlet most of the time.

Hi Martin
    There is one other thing you could check for (but it's not too likely) is a slight blockage in the liquid line - feel for a temp difference across the inlet and outlet of filter drier. Also feel the suction service valves of each when they are running to see if there is any difference.

adam_brooks Guest

the only other thing to check would be for no contamination in the system (non condesibles air etc.) check dischage temp on guages and compare to physical pipe temp that should be relativly the same, if not could suggest contamination, fix= de-gas change drier and regas with weighd amount if possible

And try to clean the condenser

You released gas...mmmmm....where?
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

with +30C water inlet and are u working 19-20 bar on your discharge?if your condenser is clean, not air inside your system and the right amount of charge u should working around 12-13 bars,check all of the above

AND ms MARTIN NEVER RELIVE THE ***** OUT IN THE ATMOSPHERE REMEMBER THE MONTREAL PROTOCOL AND THE KYOTO AGREEMENT

As so many posters, Martin came here posted his problem and never came back. Even no thank you to those whom helped him. I call this a lack of good manners.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Hello Martin,
    If You want call me 0898 675 241
    I have same exp. with black sea water