solvering vs. brazing

I am in a bit of a delima. I want to build a refrigeration system from scratch, but I don't have (any of) the proper tools. I know the principals of refrigeration but I've never put one together before.

Anyway, My main question is:

Whats the difference between soldering and brazing? (other than different metals and different temperatures) I don't have an oxy acetylene torch, but I can get a propane torch. Will the system be safe using something like plumbing solder?

Re: solvering vs. brazing

Quote Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
    I am in a bit of a delima. I want to build a refrigeration system from scratch, but I don't have (any of) the proper tools. I know the principals of refrigeration but I've never put one together before.

Anyway, My main question is:

Whats the difference between soldering and brazing? (other than different metals and different temperatures) I don't have an oxy acetylene torch, but I can get a propane torch. Will the system be safe using something like plumbing solder?

It is all down to temperature.

Brazing is at a higher temp than soldering and therfore is more suitable for refrigeration.

Most fridge pipes upto about 1 1/8 inch can be brazed with propane.

But if I was you I would not atempt it without the correct tools or training.

taz

I`m sure halogen/halocarbon refrigerants are not suitable for materials used for soldering pipe work but as taz said proper training or even knowledge is a prority as well as the correct tools and practices.

to have an understanding is one thing, putting it into practice is another

The difference between soldering and brazing is the components, Soldering generaly used for conecting CU tube or copper tailed components ( most small domestic refrig components are copper tailed) If its a small project, then I doubt that you will need to braze, as this is used mainly for Cu to brass Cu to steel Cu to bronze connections generaly only found in larger type applications !

My concerns for you would be where are you getting your A) Refrigerant, most wholesalers in N.Z wont sell to non trade for the obvious reasons B) Nitrogen and regulator, for oxide free connections C) Vaccum pump, for moisture removal.

The tools in most engineers kits cost money and are built up over time, They are used to maintain system integrity and above all are used properly and safely, if you cant do it safely, dont do it at all !!

Quote Originally Posted by 4 evr learnin View Post
    The difference between soldering and brazing is the components, Soldering generaly used for conecting CU tube or copper tailed components ( most small domestic refrig components are copper tailed) If its a small project, then I doubt that you will need to braze, as this is used mainly for Cu to brass Cu to steel Cu to bronze connections generaly only found in larger type applications !

My concerns for you would be where are you getting your A) Refrigerant, most wholesalers in N.Z wont sell to non trade for the obvious reasons B) Nitrogen and regulator, for oxide free connections C) Vaccum pump, for moisture removal.

The tools in most engineers kits cost money and are built up over time, They are used to maintain system integrity and above all are used properly and safely, if you cant do it safely, dont do it at all !!

Yea, I realize I don't really have what it takes to do this. But it's a small project and I have a neibor that works for an AC company that may be able to help with the actual charging of the system.

I was gonna try to build the system before he makes it work. (It's not going to be big so I don't think it will be a big issue for him)

gday partypalooza,hope your not using r290 in this little project.google refrigerant 290 and look what danfoss have on the subject
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

My original plan was to use r290 but I'm thinking its more of a hassle than its worth.. But like I said my neighbor can probably help me with charging and leak testing and such.

partypalooza your namesake says it all,no one has recommended you go through with this but it seems you are still not listening as you said r290 is more hassle than its its worth,then so is the rest of the system.i hope your neighbour is not as worthless as your hassle !!!

as an oldtimer i have a simple line for U to remember, soldering is for everything that contains water and braizing is for everything that contains gasses. if you want you may braize on water ,but you may never solder on gaslines. also the possibility that the mixture of oil & gas, or refrig liquid, can disolve the plumb in the solder is more realistic than water thats disolving the silver in braizings.

just a handy tip,

Ice

gday ice in oz we are taught soft soldering say with 50/50(tin,lead?)for gutters etc,brown tip and blue tip soldering both containing a certain amount of silver for copper,steel and brass,brazing with a goldy looking finished weld(sorry cant remember whats in it)for welding steel ,copper to brass etc but it requires more heat to weld.it can be confusing being in other parts of the world as to the different terms used in this game.

i think we are dealing whit a terrorist,and if hi go's throu whit his project he can join "Ahmed "the dead terrorist, he also blew his face of....(LOL)
    Ice
    ps; joke from jeff dunham

yeah achmed is a good laugh,saw a chrissy one the other month he was singing jingle bombs,i wont mention the virgins.dunham certainly does a good job