Linking a Daikin fan coil to fire alarm system

I fitted a Daikin FBQ125C7VEB today and a KRP 4aa53 was deliverd with it.
    On the drawing it says the KRP is to be linked in to Fire alarms to allow remote fan coil shut down on fire alarm alert.

Does anyone have an idea of how i link it in?

Much appreciated

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

Re: Linking a Daikin fan coil to fire alarm system

hey there, with the krp board you have to wire across contacts B2 and BC, this is a normally closed contact that is held open via the fire system and so it is a fail safe contact this contact shuts when the alarm goes off.
    Open the contact to run.
    Last edited by brunstar; 22-06-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Also be warned, If you use these KRP bords with the High wall splits they have an interfearence problem that means you wont be able to turn the split off!! Madness really - however this was 6 months ago, it may have been updated.

?????!

These KRP boards have many different functions.
    Depending on how the rotary switch is set and what terminals are shortened out, you are right, the remote will be rendered useless.
    But, this is a function, not an interference.

Marc,
    You should have had a manual inside the box with the KRP, there you will be able to see the various options available and how to wire it up. Which function you want will depend on what type of room the unit serves (IT or office).

Simplest way to interlink the fire alarm?
    DAIKIN EMPLOYEES STOP READING HERE!

Fit a relay on the live feed to the indoor PCB then select auto restart after power failure in the function codes. (This relay would be controlled by the fire alarm)

Quote Originally Posted by brunstar View Post
    hey there, with the krp board you have to wire across contacts B2 and BC, this is a normally closed contact that is held open via the fire system and so it is a fail safe contact this contact shuts when the alarm goes off.
    Open the contact to run. switch the rotary switch to C.
    Thanks Brunstar much appreciated.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    Marc,
    You should have had a manual inside the box with the KRP, there you will be able to see the various options available and how to wire it up. Which function you want will depend on what type of room the unit serves (IT or office).

Fit a relay on the live feed to the indoor PCB then select auto restart after power failure in the function codes. (This relay would be controlled by the fire alarm)
    Hi Viking, nice to see you back.

I had a quick look through the manual and as you say, there are various options available but i couldn't see anything explaining how to link it to the fire alarm.

I know now though, thanks.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by marc5180 View Post
    I fitted a Daikin FBQ125C7VEB today and a KRP 4aa53 was deliverd with it.
    On the drawing it says the KRP is to be linked in to Fire alarms to allow remote fan coil shut down on fire alarm alert.

Does anyone have an idea of how i link it in?

Much appreciated
    Hi,

You are probably aware you should wire the KRP4A adaptor to the P1 P2 terminals.
    Then set the SS1 switch to “Non-Volt” for a volt-free contact. Set the blue rotary switch to position 2 and wire a normally closed volt-free contact on terminals B1 & BC. This will enforce the fire shutdown, i.e can’t switch on the unit from the remote controller during the fire alarm but will be able to use the remote controller during normal operation.

Viking, can’t believe you said that!
    Dropping the power to the indoor unit during mid operation an a regular basis will cause the following problems;

1, No power for the drain pump, possible flood.
    2, Damage to the phase cut fan motor and PCB
    3, Liquid back to compressor as the indoor fan is powered off. Outdoor units will run for several minuets before communications error is detected.

Regards

Obi Wan

He, he.

I should have made it broader than just "DAIKIN employees" I suppose...

Although you are right about the potential failures (of course) I beg to differ on the "regular basis" part of things.
    Over the life span of the unit one would hope that even power failures would be more frequent than the fire alarm being activated.

(Correctly carried out a fire alarm test would not interrupt plant supply)

?????!

These KRP boards have many different functions.
    Depending on how the rotary switch is set and what terminals are shortened out, you are right, the remote will be rendered useless.
    But, this is a function, not an interference.

Are you the daikin tech bloke I spoke to at the time? He said exactly the same thing!

Personally I cant see how rendering the remote useless if I want remote cut out can be a feature!

In the end we put a relay in the live feed as you also mentioned!

Nah, never worked for Daikin I'm afraid.
    (If I did do you think I would have mentioned the relay???)

Disabling the remotes is a very useful function.
    Imagine a building only heated by split heatpumps, night setback and ON for frost protection regardless of fiddlers would be quite useful...
    Or, unless the A/C is needed at night wouldn't it be good to lock it OFF to save energy?
    Or, if there is a radiator heating, why not disable the A/C from operating at the same time?

Just a couple of examples from the top of my head.

But as I said (OK, typed), it is an option that you as a tech can choose whether to use or not.

Nah, never worked for Daikin I'm afraid.
    (If I did do you think I would have mentioned the relay???)

Disabling the remotes is a very useful function.
    Imagine a building only heated by split heatpumps, night setback and ON for frost protection regardless of fiddlers would be quite useful...
    Or, unless the A/C is needed at night wouldn't it be good to lock it OFF to save energy?
    Or, if there is a radiator heating, why not disable the A/C from operating at the same time?

Just a couple of examples from the top of my head.

But as I said (OK, typed), it is an option that you as a tech can choose whether to use or not.
    Agree there is a time and a place for disableing options on remotes ( weve done this is some hotels to stop guests playing with the setting and moveing it to heating in summer then complaining that the AC isnt working!!!)

But IMO to have to forfit the use of the remote against the abillity of linking into fire systems is very low grade on there behalf. Even more so seeing as London fire and realy hammering down on having the AC linked in!

Excuse the poor spelling on that post, 14 hours of installation has melted my brain.

He, he.

Although you are right about the potential failures (of course) I beg to differ on the "regular basis" part of things.
    Over the life span of the unit one would hope that even power failures would be more frequent than the fire alarm being activated.

Hi Viking,

mmmmmmm

It all depends on what the insurance company wants your customer to test. If they just want him sound the bells (so people can hear it and get out of the building), then great, but if they want him prove the disaster prevention systems and to ensure the plant will actual stop in the event of a fire and this has to be done once a week then that’s a lot of power down and restarts. Much safer to switch off the units electronically. A lot the equipment now perform a pump down stop to prevent liquid back on the next start up. This is to improve reliability of the kit. So dropping the mains is to do so at your own risk especially if the kit is in warranty. But hey each to their own.

He, he.

in relation to fire alarms tests depending on the set up the plant and equipment should stop when tested to stop the air handling units unless they are pressurised stair well exit fans which should operate to provide fresh air to the people being evacuated and to also keep the doors shut within the stair wells.

all air conditioning that has been forced to stop must be manually turned back on and can not reset by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
    Hi,

You are probably aware you should wire the KRP4A adaptor to the P1 P2 terminals.
    Then set the SS1 switch to “Non-Volt” for a volt-free contact. Set the blue rotary switch to position 2 and wire a normally closed volt-free contact on terminals B1 & BC. This will enforce the fire shutdown, i.e can’t switch on the unit from the remote controller during the fire alarm but will be able to use the remote controller during normal operation.

Viking, can’t believe you said that!
    Dropping the power to the indoor unit during mid operation an a regular basis will cause the following problems;

1, No power for the drain pump, possible flood.
    2, Damage to the phase cut fan motor and PCB
    3, Liquid back to compressor as the indoor fan is powered off. Outdoor units will run for several minuets before communications error is detected.

Regards

Obi Wan
    i agree with you obi on not dropping the power off to the unit not good practise!

with the krp board for a fire alarm you will have to wire it across B2 and BC - so that the fire system keeps the relay energised all of the time and when the fire alarm goes off the contact closes this is "fail safe" so that if the fire guys have to turn the fire control panel off and the unit is fed from another location it still can not start.

If you wire across B1 and BC it will be close to run so you will have to use a normally open contact and close it in a healthy state.
    B1 and BC for operation (BMS) on and off and B2 and BC for (fire alarm) or forced shut down.
    as potentially you can use both contacts

With the FBQ unit for all you guys that want to cut the power to the unit, it would be better to use an EKRORO much cheaper and use code 12 -1-01, this will force the unit off, the only thing is with a fire alarm and using the krp board with B2 and BC, a fire trip must have a manual restart after a manual walk around to check the building.

Thinking about the rotary switch i don't think the rotary position "c" is the option, i feel it is position "5" so that B1 and BC contact is ignored if not used.