Solvent vapor degreaser

Does someone have experience with cooling units on solvent vapor degreasers?
    I worked on such a machines around 1985-1990 and I didn't take any notices then.
    Digital camera's didn't exist yet, so some experience is lost.

I now have a manufacturer who's asking to make such a unit for them.

These units are used to degrease items in the vapor of a degreasing solvent (trichlorothene was what I've seen mostly)

Strange phenomena happened in these degreasers, imagine a reservoir of +/- 6 feet x 3 feet x 6 feet high. Boiling solvent at +/- 80°C at the bottom and you don't smell almost anything.
    You lower your hand slowly in this vapor and at a sudden, the solvent is streaming of your hands.

The cold coils on the upper part condense the vapor again so that it doesn't flow out of the reservoir.

for those who never saw such a machine http://grecobrothers.com/hpdg.htm#work
    Last edited by Peter_1; 11-06-2009 at 10:13 PM.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Solvent vapor degreaser

Yes, good fun Peter those machines.

I used to look after a few at a company that made aircraft compasses and flight instruments.

The sudden change of temperature around your hand as you put it inside the tank was most strange.

Often used to clean my expanding metal watch bracelet while I was there.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

meant to post awhile ago,they phased these out about the same time refrigerant laws changed,clean air act etc.the ones i used to see only used a water loop in the tank but smell was more noticable in the summer,best cleaning job i have ever seen even removed the paint.
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

25or6two4 Guest

Peter, google Baron-Blakeslee that might be of some help.