Daikin Control Unit PCB Repairs

Hi, thanks for the help

Repairing a Daikin Inverter singler phase Ducted system PCB: PC1014H-1D that has two shorted capacitors and one open circuit high power resistor [feeds terminals X100A] The capacitors are easy to replace but the resistor, which looks and mounts like a radial capacitor, is open circuit and the value cannot be read due to the state of the outer casing.

Some markings on the resistor are as follows:

5Wxx[Ohms symbol]J
    QxxxMA

Can anyone help with the value of this resistor RPS1, or a circuit diagram for this board.

With thanks, KH

Re: Daikin Control Unit PCB Repairs

g'day

model numbers of unit might help

Hi, Temprite.
    The model number of the unit [Australian] is Daikin RZP1450V1. This is a single phase ducted unit. In another post on this site I have listed what I found on the PCB but the real issue is this high power radial mounted resistor that feeds someting off board. The unit itself is in western Queensland and I am near Brisbane so only have the PCB to work with. I have searched for circuit details on the Net as well as a request to Daikin UK but no resonse so far. With thanks for your help. KH

Hi, All

Daikin have sent a wiring diagram for this model unit, drg. 3D032603B, which is helpful and identifies the resistor as R1 feeding through connector X100A to a unit 'PC" noted on the drawing as Power Circuit [A2P].

No value is given for the resistor or the load/voltage of the circuit 'PC'.

If anyone has a similar board or unit schematic with a value for R1 would be helpful. The markings on the unit suggest that it is a 5 Watt resistor with two [2] digits for the 'value'.

Kind regards, KH

Hi All

Wiring diagram showing R1 and layout of similar unit.

Need to identify R1, value and circuit block 'PC'

Regards,

KH

Reduced RPZ100DV1 Drawing to JPG

Thanks to all

KH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, Circuit Update.

Analysis of the connector X100A and associated components reveal that the connector X100A is the AC input to the SMPS that powers the control circuit board.

The resistor RPS1 [currently open circuit] is an in-rush current limiting resistor, and it remains in circuit during circuit operation.

The DC capacitor for the SM chopper IC is rated at 400VDC at 47uf, which would indicate a 230VAC/330VDC input however I cannot confirm this voltyage.

The SM transformer is a TDK- ED28/20-3 and is approx 30 watts.

The PCB power supply capacitors and regulator IC's, connected to the SM transformer output via diodes, are all rated at 35VDC.

If anyone has a suggestion for the value of RPS1 - the inrush limiting resistor - it would be appreciated.

Searches on the NET might suggest a value between 1 - 2.5 ohms?

With thanks,

KH

Re: Daikin Control Unit PCB Repairs HELP

HI to all,

Reply from Daikin to our problem with the SMPS on the main control PCB: PC0104H-1D

Hi there,
    In relation to this we do not carry pcb component drawings so the only option would be to replace the outdoor pcb. thank you for your enquiry

No date, time or name given!

So OK

Firstly a quote obtained from Daikin service department for replacing the PCB is AUD $1500 +Service Call +Hrs.

The component that has failed is a $3.00AUD resistor in the Switch Mode Power Supply input circuit.

I have done some circuit tracing and analysis and discovered that the failed component RPS1 [open circuit] is a 5 Watt series current limiting resistor for the SMPS 400VDC capacitor/circuit.

I have found a service manual for the RZP71-125DV1 unit which contains a PDF drawing outlay, page 16, which shows a similar board which uses the same SMPS power supply unit.

I would really appreciate if in reading this you know of someone who has an RZP100-125-145DV1 unit and ask them if you could have a look at a PCB, A1P, in the control box and let us know the value of the resistor RPS1 including its markings.

Kind regards,

Keith Harris
    Retro Electronics
    Riverview
    Australia.

I am looking at at a RZP71 tommorow.

Cant remember the exact model number but I will check.

If you can PM me with some contact details that I can get hold of you from the unit it might help.

Cheers.

I'm not surprised they fobbed you off, most people just want to sell/replace parts these days. That price is stupidly high though, most inverter PCBs sell for ~$400 or less.

Anyway, have you worked out the possible reason for the component failure? What's on the circuit?

Another thing, I recently took over doing some sharp warranty, and I was surprised that their parts list actually includes actual electronic components used on their PCBs as individual parts. WOW never seen that and good on them I guess. Most other brands just want to sell you the whole PCBs, they even go to the trouble of soldering fuses rather than using a fuse holder these days

edit: Forget it.
    I have written about 3 x more in this reply, but I can't post it. Everytime I reply, I get "internal server error, contact dez"
    I've chopped this reply up so much jut to aviod this error and get something up.
    I keep retyping it but the same error every time, it's the weirdest thing I've seen. For some reason my post in it's entirety is censored by a error message to prevent me posting it

Anyway, please stick aound after you get this issue fixed, as some of us would like someone of your knowledge here to help out us techs trying to find out which end of the soldering iron is hot.
    Last edited by paul_h; 18-06-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temprite View Post
    I am looking at at a RZP71 tommorow.

Cant remember the exact model number but I will check.

If you can PM me with some contact details that I can get hold of you from the unit it might help.

Cheers.
    the RZP71DV1 has a different pcb.

Hi,Brunstar

Thanks for the reply.

Resistor has been identified as a 51 ohm 5 watt power resistor.

In discussions with Radio Spares Tech seeing as the resistor is in the 50Hz side of the SMPS then non-inductive is not an issue so will replace with a 51 ohm, 7 watt Wellyn [Type 22].

Also recieved a manual for the RZP145D series which includes all service data for the RZP71 - 145 series units. It is 288 pages long and if anyone needs a copy just send me you email details and I can forward a copy to you.

Thanks for all the help, appreciated, KH.

Lumpy

Glad the manual was of interest!

Frank

i wish i could interrogate PCB's like this, i wouldnt really know where to start!

Hi, SkyWalker

If you or anyone else needs help with PCB's post me details and I will send you my thoughts. I think my 'Retro' email is listed as part of my details. Regards, KH

if this little bugger of a resistor has gone more than likley your smps is shot!
    replaceing just the resistor and the cap you quoted will not cure it!

resistor normally goes because either the main chopper transistor is short, if this is ok then replace all the small value caps on the primary side of the smps, and if you can replace the rest on the other side all the better!

youll prob find 2 small caps in primary side of psu 10uf to 100uf low volts that are prob ****ged!

the resistor!!! depends on where it is! if it is inbetween the ac coming in at any point and the main buss cap then its just a safety measure! and any low value ie 4 ohmish and 4 watt+ should be ok!

but if it is any where else DONT replace it, as its likely to be the main dropper to the switch mode control ic!! get that wrong and it will never live again!!!!

if alll seems good at this point try powering it up, but....

use a mains bulb (100w is best) in series with the live incoming side, ie mains plug L to bulb, bulb to ac L in on pcb, then pcb N to plug N

this will be a safety device, and will light bright then go dimmer and will prob do daft things if psu trys to run!

if you see any signs of life then remove bulb and try again.

but if the bulb stays lite constantlly or doesnt lite you will prob need to replace the control ic!!!!

then repeat all of the above!!!

hope this helps in any way! but you will still need a multi meter etc and the know how to use it : o )

any problems just ask!

ian

TheAnticpator Guest

Hi, I have a similar issue to the one posted by Lumpy2. The PCB is PC0104H-1C. Unit is a RZP125DV1. A Rodent has caused a serious short accros R8 through R14. Would be interested if Lumpy2 would be interested in repairing it (if possible). Could you forward my contact details Plz.
    Regards,
    RC

Very impressed, we rarely bother diagnosing to component level anymore, its generally more cost effective just to repace boards, and I think that as a result we run the risk of losing any electronic fault finding skills that we may have had.

Cheers
    Tutto il Mondo e un Paese

Hi, The Anticipator, El Padre

Sorry that I did not pick up on this post earlier.

Yes I would be interested in repairing boards for people but not sure if I am allowed to advertise on this BSB.

However If you email me with contact details I can return my address which is in Australia.

Also reguarding costs of the Dakin board $1500+ installation was the correct price quoted to my friend.

With this board I replaced the three terminal regulators and the SMPS driver IC and all came up well. It appears to be a common fault with this Dakin unit, and I expect all of that model. My advice to any service technician would be to place sone form of filter on the supply to the main PCB.

It would be better if this unit was a tracking filter, i.e., one that follows the 240VAC wave form and clips +/-20 either side rather than the more common 375VAC filters that allow spikes from the top to bottom of the wave form of 525Volts which can seriously damage control circuits.

The unit I use in front of my UPS is a Precision Power DT-FPW 'Industrial surge diverter and Sine wave form tracking filter'.

Kind regards,

KH

Hi, Ian. The SMPS chip was blown and replaced from WES Components. Values measured after were all OK and the droping resistor is 51 ohms so replaced with Wellyn 51 ohm 6W. Used the light bulb and meters + CRO to see what was happening and the board came alive, led's on and is now reinstalled. Thanks for the advice. Regards, KH

TheAnticpator Guest

Hi and thank you for passing details on to Lumpy2. Board has now been repaired and reinstalled but getting 'UA' error on controller. Other threads here suggest I will need to reset the controller so both inside and outside systems can talk to each other, but am unsure of the settings I need for my system. Units are RZP125DV1, FDYP125DLV1, and BRC1C61 controller. Also are there any other settings I need to check?
    Thanks in advance.
    RC

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnticpator View Post
    Hi and thank you for passing details on to Lumpy2. Board has now been repaired and reinstalled but getting 'UA' error on controller. Other threads here suggest I will need to reset the controller so both inside and outside systems can talk to each other, but am unsure of the settings I need for my system. Units are RZP125DV1, FDYP125DLV1, and BRC1C61 controller. Also are there any other settings I need to check?
    Thanks in advance.
    RC
    You may have connected your red white and black interconnecting cables incorrectly, induced voltage on the communications cable from indoor to out or the transmission circuit could faulty.

apounder Guest

Hi just fault finding my Daikin split aircon system RXD71JVEA, it indicates a U4 error code. There are no led's lit on the external unit PCB. Looks like a Rectifier ? has fried called DB1 on the main power board pcb.
    any idea's

1. is this component a rectifier?
    2. do you know what is ie where I can purchase an equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by apounder View Post
    Hi just fault finding my Daikin split aircon system RXD71JVEA, it indicates a U4 error code. There are no led's lit on the external unit PCB. Looks like a Rectifier ? has fried called DB1 on the main power board pcb.
    any idea's

1. is this component a rectifier?
    2. do you know what is ie where I can purchase an equivalent?
    If it says DB then it is the diode bridge that has failed which should be located on the L shape of the board. (the bit that hangs off the board with one screw in it).
    this can be checked with your meter but if it is fried then i am sure that you do not have to meter it.