Threaded View

Re: Optimization of the refrigeration plants operation

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    If I turn this around just a bit, I would add: Trying to save energy which results in unintended consequences is just plain dumb. This is like you example or that of benji. Turning off compressors to save energy is not good either.

Energy reduction (& associated costs for it) has to be accomplished in a manner which allows the refrigeration system to meet its intended duty with no negative impact.

One of the major issues is what I call the cookie-cutter syndrome. Everyone wants to use the same approach on any application. These prescriptive approaches are not always helpful and do not produce the anticipated results. Then energy conservation gets a bad name.

I had a conversation with someone who basically implied if you were not a Certified Energy Manager, you did not understand the problems and were of no use to them.

BS (large male cow excrement) was almost my reply...
    I agree that every refrigeration plant should has custom approach. Every plant is unique(in industrial refrigeration) and energy savings approach should be unique as well. Many people believe that hot gas defrosting can't be done at condensing pressure lower than 110psig. This is wrong. Typically I do defrosting at 100psig or lower. You should know how to balance hot gas supply, hot gas condensation and condensate draining. It isn't simple as it may looks. However, it is rewarding. 1psig of lower head pressure can save a few thousand dollars per year. Ask questions and do testing for your plant.
    I'm laughing about about a Certified Energy Manager. This person has no clue how energy saved in industrial refrigeration. These are two sides of energy savings. Electrical and refrigeration. Electricalower factor, VFDs, high efficiency motors and etc. Refrigeration: optimum head pressure, optimum suction pressure, optimum defrosting and etc. Electrical can give just 20-30% of total energy savings, but they require huge capital investments. Refrigeration can dive us 70-80% without huge capital investments. Many people have no idea about refrigeration energy savings.
    Last edited by Segei; 30-06-2009 at 05:19 PM.