Thread: Afternoon all!

Rhythmeister Guest

Unhappy Afternoon all!

Hi folks, I was hoping to find a definitive answer on what will DEFINATELY work as a replacement to the R12 in my '93 Eunos roadster/ Miata/ MX5 1.6. I had it charged by Refrigeration services in Lisburn last night with R413a (not R134a!) and the system made it down to 10 Deg 'C, with my compressor squealing, then I drove round the block to see if fresh air would help the condensor cope with the oddly increasing temperature in the cabin only to get MORE squealing and upon returning to the yard I was greeted by the melted clutch on my compressor adorning the underside of my bonnet

So, what I'm really wondering is...should I just get this R12 system ripped out altogether or will there be a cost effective way for me to charge the system with a non compressor destroying replacement refrigerant?

Cheers in advance!

Re: Afternoon all!

R413a is a proper drop-in replacement for R12 in mobile air conditioning.
    I'm afraid the molten clutch is in no way related to the refrigerant.

As mentioned above, R413A can be used as an R12 replacement and usually works very efficiently. The quantity of R413A sometimes has to be reduced when compared to the quantity of R12.
    The failure of he clutch may be due to general deterioration, particularly if the system has been short cycling due to the gradual loss of R12 refrigerant. The compressor could have also lost some of its oil charge with the refrigerant leak. All sorts of unknowns can happen when resurrecting a slightly older system. You could be faced with quite an expensive bill to replace the compressor. Sometimes factory rebuilds are available which might save a few Euros!!

sounds like its been overcharged to me,

The oil used in R12 systems its not compatible with new refrigerants!

Did you change the oil too?

Regards

Definitly sounds like an overcharge, as in high discharge pressure, low performance, high power draw through clutch, result smoked clutch.
    Suggest that you go to a reptable service company and start again with credit card in your hand. alternative , drive with windows open, or up-date your car to latest tech.
    What ever which way it will be expensive.

magoo

system may not have been processed correctly as air in the system will have a similar effect.ive used 413 and have found that it does run a high head pressure.make sure thermo fans are working and in the right direction,if you have viscous radiator fan check to see it doesnt spin freely by hand.
    Last edited by lowcool; 06-06-2009 at 05:16 AM. Reason: viscous no vicious duh!
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast