Hi Guys,

I have read a lot around this forum and hope to get some career advice from you.

I am a professional engineer about 6 years into my career working at a marine aquaculture facility as technical manager. We have a bunch of R22 systems going 4 of 5hp scrolls, 6 of 10hp scrolls, 1 of 30hp recip compressor, all with shell/tube evaporators and fin condensors for water to air operation.

Through helping out (that's right a PE that gets his hands dirty) our refrigeration contractor (who just retired) and lots of reading, some designing of automatic heat/cool heat pumps, I have become very interested in refrigeration. Where I am located (Nova Scotia, Canada) there is a distinct lack of understanding among refrigeration companies (including big ones like CIMCO) of our application (controlling water temperature with chilling) and no understanding of controlling it with a heat pump.

So, I want to get certified enough to be able to get my hands dirty further and be able to tweak the units we have to enable me to test and then design a water-to-water heat pump with COP minimum 4.5. I am 99% sure it can be done simply. Can anyone recommend the best path to go for training? Should I just go write the exam (is it an option?) or there are online courses available - is 4th class a good knowledge base of technology out there. Can you tell what I'm asking?

Sorry about the length. I appreciate any effort to advise.

Thanks,
Marine Chiller