Smile convert r134a to R-404a

What would be involved in conerting a small stand alone freezer from R-134a to r-404a

Bailiff Guest

Re: convert r134a to R-404a

How much money you got!!! Having said that, the metering device, the dryer, maybe the compressor(depending on the manufacturer) will have to be changed, you may then have issues with capacity becasue the evap coil and cond coil is sized for 134a not 404A.

ccrsedona Guest

I'm doing that right now on an old 3 door freezer that was R-12. The original compressor was a 3/4 HP. What I'm doing is replacing the complete condensing unit with 1 HP 404a that has a receiver. also getting rid of the cap tube. Replacing it with a TXV and a sight glass. Then I'll adjust the superheat as required. Another trick I've done many times is on an old R-12 walk in, I'll replace with a R-22 condensing unit, (same HP) and charge with HotShot to a clear sightglass and adjust the superheat as required. The compressor purrs and runs cool.

Talking Re: convert r134a to R-404a

Quote Originally Posted by ccrsedona View Post
    I'm doing that right now on an old 3 door freezer that was R-12. The original compressor was a 3/4 HP. What I'm doing is replacing the complete condensing unit with 1 HP 404a that has a receiver. also getting rid of the cap tube. Replacing it with a TXV and a sight glass. Then I'll adjust the superheat as required. Another trick I've done many times is on an old R-12 walk in, I'll replace with a R-22 condensing unit, (same HP) and charge with HotShot to a clear sightglass and adjust the superheat as required. The compressor purrs and runs cool.
    soon r22 will be history and we will have to think again,excuse my ignorance what is hotshot ,i thought it was warm tequila

And sounds like R404A is up for the chop as well, due to high global warming factor.
    magoo

ccrsedona Guest

Hotshot is R-414b. It's used as a R-12 drop in replacement, the problem is with this and most R-12 drop in's is you can only charge to approx 80% due to head pressure problems. Not a good idea for compressor longevity. Also capacity is diminished. I've been using R-416a very successfully. Except it's not recommended on freezers or mineral oil applications. This whole refrigerant thing is like a "War on Refrigerants" the way government gets involved and passes these laws while the rest of us pay the price. ( So companies like Dupont can reap the monetary harvest) I've been doing service work on many types of projects for 30 years and saw the whole thing unravel. Nothing like Change You Can Believe In.