Installation question split system

I am building a house, and the time has come to drill a hole in the wall for the pipe between the outdoor unit and the indoor unit.

I was told by an installer that the location of the hole depends on which brand of a/c we choose. He said that the pipe connects to the right hand side of the Midea indoor unit, but to the left side on Samsung.

Is this correct? I would have though that it would have been possible to configure the indoor unit so that the pipe can connect either on the right or on the left, isnt the internal connection reversible?

On both ends of the box there seems to be a plastic bit which can be snapped out, (for the pipe).

Blog Entries

Re: Installation question split system

If you are not pre-installing pipes, than it doesn't matter. Most of units has pipes coming from unit at right side (when you look in front of unit). Best is to drill hole at left side. In that way connection is accessible and doesn't end in middle of wall.

Check this forum for Samsung option code posts.
    Last edited by nike123; 15-05-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Surely if the pipes are connected on the right side, the hole should be on the right side too (otherwise the pipe has to wrap around the indoor unit)?

The Samsung pipes connect on the left by default apparently. I'd like to know if it is possible to change this by reversing the connection inside the indoor unit.

pipes can be bent to fit right or left side, they are not reversable per se.

al

Do you mean bent in a U shape in the casing?

pipes exit the evaporator and are bent in along the casing, these pipes can be bent the opposite direction if required. usually i install so the pipes are jointed in the casing, not outside unless trunking is used, this keeps all pipe work hidden.

al

Quote Originally Posted by jom2000 View Post
    I am building a house, and the time has come to drill a hole in the wall for the pipe between the outdoor unit and the indoor unit.

I was told by an installer that the location of the hole depends on which brand of a/c we choose. He said that the pipe connects to the right hand side of the Midea indoor unit, but to the left side on Samsung.

Is this correct? I would have though that it would have been possible to configure the indoor unit so that the pipe can connect either on the right or on the left, isnt the internal connection reversible?

On both ends of the box there seems to be a plastic bit which can be snapped out, (for the pipe).

If you know what system(indoor unit) your installer is supplying, can't they either provide a template or have the indoor unit on site so you can use the back plate?