raymond howells Guest

iced up evapourater

badly iced up evapourater control showing -18 but cold room temp was 5 degrees.defrosted it to found evapourater probe suck in the middle of iced up area.
    after defrost got coldroom temp to 0 but evapourater fans would not come on. control is a EWPC 974T.
    re wired evapourater fan to alternative power. fans came on but not gettin temp. R22 LP 0.8 HP 13.5 ON COMPRESSER AMBIENT TEMP 20 DEGREES

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: iced up evapourater

Seems like a good question, what is your solution?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

halo im new here...could someone explain to me what is ambient temperature and the calculation ??

Quote Originally Posted by ah fai View Post
    halo im new here...could someone explain to me what is ambient temperature and the calculation ??
    Look at this all you need is a good thermometer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_temperature

Norm
    My wife used to say you never listen to a word I say at least I think that what she said

I would put it so. Air ambient temp as opposed to air room temp:
    Room temp we call air temp which we process, for instance, by means of an air conditioner (cool, heat, dehumidify, etc).
    Ambient temp is temp of the air which we do not process, but which is a factor, a variable, a mean, in the work of, for instance, a chiller with, for instance, the so-called "free cooling" (in which the computer of the chiller gives the chiller command not to use for water cooling refrigerant but the ambient air).
    Sorry that the thread has diverged.

I bet Raymond had some el heaters at fault in his iced up evoparator.

Dave Sewell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raymond howells View Post
    badly iced up evapourater control showing -18 but cold room temp was 5 degrees.defrosted it to found evapourater probe suck in the middle of iced up area.
    after defrost got coldroom temp to 0 but evapourater fans would not come on. control is a EWPC 974T.
    re wired evapourater fan to alternative power. fans came on but not gettin temp. R22 LP 0.8 HP 13.5 ON COMPRESSER AMBIENT TEMP 20 DEGREES
    raymond consider the following;
    1 after the manual defrost the fans will not operate till the evaporator temperatur (not the room temperature) is well below freezing. Usually about -10c

2 Was the ice build up heavy solid ice or fluffy snow like? If the latter you likely have a problem with the refrigerant system, if the former then could be a number of things.

3 the EWPC974 controls all yhr paramaters you need for diagnosis. First up scroll down to the evaporator probe display and actually see what the evaporator temperature is. This will identify how well the fridge plant is working. A good TD (room to evap. probe) with the room temp at +5 would be 15c

4 recheck all the paramater settings. Defrost ternination temperature, Fan stop temperature, fan delay time after defrost. Ensure all these are Ok or understood first. And dont forget drip down time

Remember:
    The controller is the key. I calls for refrigeration when needed, controls defrosts and provides the information you need.