ajay1951 Guest

Candy fridge freezer clicking

Our Candy frost free fridge freezer has started clicking and the green light flashing when it tries to start the compressor. This normally happens about once a day and have previously cured it by turning it off for half an hour, but today I can't stop it.

Blog Entries

Re: Candy fridge freezer clicking

It need attention from service engineer, but in mean time you could clean inside and defrost it, by turning off for 24-48 hours with open doors and clean condenser.
    Then check again for problems after fridge has reached near set temperature.

If your profession or interests are far from the matters of electricity, bring someone who is competent to check the compressor starting device - whether it be the relay on PCB and its curcuit or directly the thermostat itself ,etc. Because the regime when as you write 'ligt flashing ' 'compressor trying to start' is very dangerous for the windings of the compresor.

As the above poster say.

If the comp is clicking then you need to let an engineer have a look at it and find the fault.

taz

ajay1951 Guest

Thanks for the replies. I would have thought they last a bit longer than 8 years before going wrong though.
    As a temporary solution until I can get an engineer out, I have found that if I turn it off, open the freezer door, take the trays out and keep the stuff somewhere cool. Then leave the freezer door open with the mains turned off for half an hour. Turning it back on after the half hour it works ok again.

ajay1951 Guest

On a footnote to my last post. On careful listening, I have found that it's not the compressor clicking, seems that was just coincidence one time. The clicking is coming from a relay in the top of the fridge/freezer (behind the lights panel) that I can't get at. I can free the panel, but the wiring restricts pulling it all out. Presumably to make that possible, I would have to undo the interior light fitting and remove the clamps on the wiring where it enters the top at the back.

ajay1951 Guest

I omitted to say, that I am an electronic test engineer. But I work on radio/radar kit, not fridges, but electronics is electronics, so if I knew what to look for it would not be beyond my skills to tackle it. As I've found with cookers and washing machines in the past, half the job is knowing how to get into it.