Thread: New Guy ?

Question New Guy ?

I have been registered for a while I was wondering about if anyone has any Information about long term storage of fur. Low temp commercial boxes I was,nt sure where to post or ask about this . There are a couple of buisness,s that are inquireing about having them installed . I was wondering if there is any special requirements for fur any Info online I have searched a bit and not come up with much thanks for any help.

aprophet aka david

Re: New Guy ?

Hi Aprophet
    I work in a few museums which have fur products on display. As far as I am aware close control of humidity and temp is required to keep them in excellent condition.

Thanks for the reply Tesla the fur in your museum is "finished" the process for fur is to skin, strech , dry then tan . The fur I am trying to set up refrigeration for is not tanned yet just dried. Not really a raw pelt just not quiet finished . There are insects that will eat the pelts before they are tanned . This is why they freeze the pelts from what I have gathered so far. Again thanks for the help sorry I did not explain enough .

TRASH101 is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

why not just vac & pac? This will keep the bugs off the pelts and reduce bacterial growth and such.

If not then you have answered your own question i.e. a coldstore that maintains a temp. that stops/kills the insects while the pelts are in storage.

You should check with an entomologist about the specific hardiness of the bug and that will give you the idea of what room temp you must maintain. Then you can get a coldstore designed for the product.
    Quidvis Recte Factum Quamvis Humile Praeclarum.

Latine dictum, sit altum videtur.

Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.