AC_Hacker Guest

Homemade Heat Pump...

Hello Everyone,

I'm a retired engineer with time on my hands.

I live in an older small house (< 1000 square ft.) built in 1892. I am going through the whole house, meticulously insulating it with expanded poly styrene board.

So I'm thinking ahead to a highly efficient heating system. As best as I can determine, a Ground Source Heat Pump running warm water through a thin (1.5 inch), radiant concrete floor is my very best bet.

So I need a water-to-water heat pump. The kicker is, that the smallest I have been able to find is four ton and I only need one ton. So this means that in order to proceed with the project, I'll have to build my own heat pump.

I have already built a prototype heat pump, it is working and I have tested it and the test results are very encouraging. I have attached photos and performance data at the end of this post.

I've started a blog at another URL. If you google "homemade heat pump manifesto", you'll have no trouble finding it.

...HVAC is a new field for me and I recognize that I'm "feeling my way through the darkness". I'd appreciate any feedback you might be able to offer, either posted here or at the other blog.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

-AC_Hacker
    Attached Images Attached Images