Broom wade 6010E wont shut down

A friend gave me a "just job" to wire in his 2nd hand untested 6010E. I did just that today for him and when I test ran it with it connected to a reciever it failed to unload or shut down before reaching the max working set pressure of 8 bar.
    As a sparks I really dont know a great deal about screw comps and could do with a pointer or two as to what can be the problem please.

I found the main pressure differential switch and assumed it may be faulty, as a quick and dirty test I disconnected one of the 2 wires into it, ran the comp then touched the 2 wires together, a solenoid somewhere was heard clicking when I short the pair but the comp didnt unload or shut down.

I'm unsure of the correct method that this model should follow but guess that it loads from once the star delta starter is energised, reaches set max pressure then should unload? but motor keeps running the comp unloaded until a pre set timer times out, if no air is used once the timer times out the comp shuts down, if air is drawn the comp loads up to max pressure again.
    Is this the correct operation?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Broom wade 6010E wont shut down

Are we talking AIR COMPRESSOR here Mike??

Yes Frank, I realise this is a refrigeration forum but hoping the guys who frequent here are versed in Air as well as liquids.

Hi Mike,
    Yes that`s the correct operation. As far as I can remember there`s a run on timer adjustment on the PCB next to the star delta timer which is behind the control panel. It should run off load for about six minutes before shutting down. The clicking you hear is the load solenoid valve energising. On these m/cs the sol valve is normally open.
    Ps keep an eye on the condition of the belt, if it starts to fray it`ll catch in the fan at cause it to shatter.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, thanks very much for the reply and info on the belt I will be sure to pass that tip on to him.

I have phoned him and asked him to look for an unloader valve with solenoid attached as this one is for sure not unloading if the pressure guage is to be believed.
    I have also asked him to make sure none of the pilot air lines are blocked as I guess the unloader is operated by pilot air after the solenoid is actuated.

Any other pointers you or others may have will be gratefully recieved.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Hi Glenn, thanks very much for the reply and info on the belt I will be sure to pass that tip on to him.

I have phoned him and asked him to look for an unloader valve with solenoid attached as this one is for sure not unloading if the pressure guage is to be believed.
    I have also asked him to make sure none of the pilot air lines are blocked as I guess the unloader is operated by pilot air after the solenoid is actuated.

Any other pointers you or others may have will be gratefully recieved.

Hi Mike,
    Sounds like the unloader might be stuck, it`s on the side of the suction box under the air filter in front of you as you remove the front cover. A service kit for the suction box includes the diaphragm and seat for the blowdown valve.
    There`s a mini line filter before the sol valve which can often block as the air feed to the valve is taken from the aftercooler which will be wet air.
    You`re correct about the operation of the sol valve.
    If this is a 6010e and not a 6010ea it has a jockey pulley for tensioning the belt, these are notorious for the pulley bearing failing and throwing the belt.
    Separator should be changed at 8000 hours maximum or when the differentil is .5 bar; oil and filters every. 2000 hours.

The fault could of course be the PCB faulty as these never were the most reliable as any vibration, dust (which there`s usually plenty of with that fan whizzing around) and condensation tends to play havoc on many Broomwade compressors.
    Oh for the days when I could go to the RS book in get a relay or timer instead of fitting a costly circuit board.
    Never my favourite compressors the small 6000 range

Glenn

Oh boy Glenn, plenty of info there to get him started on sorting it out, I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to add all the other info too.
    I will be sure to let you know how it went...or not ;-)

Mike.

Just in case anyone's thinking I dissapeared having got the info I wanted....I visited the guy today to ask how the compressor repair went.
    He said he's been so busy he's yet to investigate the problem further.

I will report back when I have some news.