Hybrid View

Question

i hav a hotpoint mistral fridge freezer, the fridge is not doing anything, i am a fridge engineer but have never looked at domestic kit so not 2 sure about the controls, the compressor, gas and condensor fan are all working ok, the evap fan in the freezer isnt starting up but has no power 2 it and door switch is working ok as i unplugged a sensor and the fan did kick in, is this fan supposed 2 run continuousley like on commercial kit? There are 2 sensors, 1 in the fridge and 1 in the freezer but im guessing they are ok as they are both displaying the right temp, -20 freezer, +17 fridge, so does anybody know how the fridge temp is controlled eg airflow and cooling as i have never looked at domestic before, thanks in advance
    Last edited by chillin out; 17-04-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Re: domestic problems- hotpoint mistral fridge/freezer

If you were to do a search on this site you would have found numerous posts about this problem.

Replace the probe that is fastened to the evaporator in the freezer section (the icey bit).

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Smile Re: domestic problems- hotpoint mistral fridge/freezer

yeah sorry about that, would have looked but internet down so using mobile phone which takes about an hour 2 load a page, yeah it has 2 sensors in the freezer a coil sensor and an air sensor so its the coil sensor that needs replacing, u know a good place to get 1? Dont suppose an eliwell would work on it, ha

How many compressers does it have? Is it 1 for fridge and 1 for freezer, or is it one compresser doing both? You say that fridge temp is 17 degrees, have you checked the temperture in the fridge section with a thermometer? Is iced up, if not then try changing the sensor.

Hope it helps!:

hi
    when u turn the power on u should hear 3 clicks ur fridge has a dc fan with 3 sspeed if u dont hear the clicks ther is a 2 ohm resistance feeding the fan&located in the pannel control mdule if its faulty u should change it with the fan

i have replaced the probe in the evaportator coil and the fan has started up and is now working ok, but the fridge is still not doing anything, still at +17 when freezer is at -22, is there a vent that is controlled to cool the fridge down as there is no airflow coming from the fridge vent at all? If yes does anybody know how its controlled? Or what is happening, thanks

password Guest

change fan evaporator
    fan evap not doing job like used to be

password Guest

change sensor in frezer yelow and gren plus fan evap and all be working fantastic

mrevil Guest

can anyone help i have the same problem as everyone else the only difference is i have checked to see if the fan is working in the freezer section behind the cover and it does not turn at all can anyone advise on what i need to do to correct it I.E. change the fan or the yellow & green thermistors.

if your freezer is reading -22 and the fridge temp is showing anywhere around +17 then change the yellow thermistor in the freezer

BadMechanic Guest

Thanks for the answer!!

It was less painful than registering on this site!!

BadMechanic Guest

did this actually work?

I am having the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by BadMechanic View Post
    Thanks for the answer!!

It was less painful than registering on this site!!

BadMechanic Guest

to be honest the freezer now is getting warmer, going to -8 and the fridge to +18 I understand this thread, but dont know much about diagnosis........ other than IronSide was pretty good at it! Seriously though. Advice would be appreciated. Im not afraid to rip up the fridge freezer. Thanks

BadMechanic

Are you ok ?

Do you need help !!! with someting ?

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

BadMechanic Guest

hi chillerman, possibly going to wage war....

my mistral fridge freezer - the fridge is at +22. The freezer has came from -21 to -8. Both now are +22.

Having had the panel off the freezer I have concluded:
    The fan in the freezer spins freely when the fridge door is closed, however the air does not reach the fridge. I checked by faking the door closed and putting my hand over the vent - no air.
    The radiator blades in the freezer are frozen over. I just defrosted it recently due to this problem with worked temporarily but now its doing it again. I never had the insulated bit off before so now i guess it will do it a bit quicker, while I look for an answer.
    I have whipped out the yellow thermistor as everyone keeps banging on about and it makes no difference, to me that's just a temperature sensor, cuz when you take it out, the unit cant read the freezer temp.

I am not an engineer, but i'm not a dummy either. I can wield big and small tools, to top it off, im a 3 to 4 spanner Haynes guy, lol....

In my completely untrained opinion its not defrosting properly/at all, in conjunction with the air not blowing into the fridge to cool it, and dam, I really wanted cheese on toast today and the cheese is like rubber this morning

What plans of diagnosis/elimination should I take?

thanks in advance

BadMechanic

here is your previous post to another thread

[QUOTE=BadMechanic;242426]ive quickly come to the conclusion this site is a pile of nonsense. no one actually knows what they are talking about in a "matter of fact" way. People just throw rehashed nonsense at you. if you want some facts, ask a shop that sells spares, if they arent D**ks they will help you.[/QUOTE]

Why I am even bothering with 'your fan is not running' is beyond me today

BadMechanic Guest

thanks for your help VIP poster. Hope all VIPs are as helpful as you

IS ANYONE WILLING TO GO AGAINST THE GRAIN OF THIS FORUM AND ACTUALLY HELP???

BadMechanic Guest

my point proven

BadMechanic Guest

tbh i reget posting that after i saw your reply, and its a forum, so I cant delete it.

unfortunately still to be corrected

Right come on then 4 spanners BadMech, you give me the info I need to diagnose your unit & I'll give some of my £90 an hour experience for free (which contract managers at my office fight over daily on who's turn it is to have my service's)

I will presume your condensor is clean and compressor is running efficiently at full load and evap fan is ruuning correctly

What refrigerant ?
    Ambient temperature ?
    Air on ?
    Air off ?
    Evap air velocity ?
    Suction pressure ?
    Suction temperature ?
    Discharge pressure ?
    Discharge temperature ?
    Liquid line temperature ?

You or any other domestic owner supply me with the answers to these conditions and I'll blink a couple of times and give the correct answer

On the other hand as you cant supply these if you have any electro/mechanical knowledge coupled with the very basics of physics and thermodynamics you will realise your question can not be answered with a magic wand and requires skilled diagnosis

You have a choice and all require dusting off your wallet & getting your money out !

1. take it to a shop and let them look at it for peanuts
    2. buy a new fridge/freezer
    3. call in an expert to repair it with labour charges far exceeding the cost of new

You make me laugh
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 01-10-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Just maybe no-one can help at present?
    Despite the bad attitude.
    There are very few domestic engineers on the forum.
    And fridges are so manufacturer specific nowadays that unless you attract the help of someone with the specific training / knowledge.
    You are not going to get an answer.
    Frustrating I know!

But hey before you slag us off. Just remember you are annoyed and you don't work on refrigeration equipment.
    Just think how difficult it is for us full time chaps.
    Keeping up with the new technology used is a nightmare.
    Your fridge will have it's own software within the controller and without knowing how it is set to operate.
    Your problem is difficult to diagnose- Period!
    Grizzly

there's two thermistors on these fridges you need to replace both

Quote Originally Posted by tonto33 View Post
    there's two thermistors on these fridges you need to replace both
    Evening Tonto

whats these thermistors then mate ?

What do they do and what affect/fault is caused upon failure ?

BadMech is a 4 spanners haynes manual mech, so will be able to carry this out without dusting his wallet too much

R's chillerman

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    Evening Tonto

whats these thermistors then mate ?

What do they do and what affect/fault is caused upon failure ?

BadMech is a 4 spanners haynes manual mech, so will be able to carry this out without dusting his wallet too much

R's chillerman
    One is freezer temperature and other is linked into defrost termination then reads about 13*c rise in temperature as a safeguard before cooling cycle restarts.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    One is freezer temperature and other is linked into defrost termination then reads about 13*c rise in temperature as a safeguard before cooling cycle restarts.
    Thanks Also Mike

for explanation mate

R's chillerman

Quote Originally Posted by tonto33 View Post
    Nice one Tonto

Thanks for the link, clearly explained everything

My thoughts are the use of thermistors and boards are making domestics unreliable

A simple analogue bulb type thermostat is about a fiver and takes ten minutes to diagnose and fit a twin for fridge/freezer a tenner

Although the thermistors are easily checked for changing values when heated/cooled & start at £12

PCB's start at £65 for a freezer and £85 for a fridge/freezer

When I am due a newer model and it inevitably fails, I will be rewiring to analogues

R's chillerman

BadMechanic Guest

Glad after everyone calmed down and had a cup of tea that sense has been seen.

Thanks tonto for the links, they are concise and clear a lot up about what parts do what function. Like a hypochondriac, I was quick to diagnose problems that weren't actually there, and paint all the VIPs with the same dirty brush of BS'ing people with buzz words.
    FYI I know what some of these terms mean and for the others why, as a "domestic owner" would I / should I know at this elementary level how to find/diagnose the parts. This is what I am here for in the first place, as i have a screwdriver and a multimeter but no fridge experience!! Surely this is the equivalent of some business man twat hitting me with business acronyms that I have no comprehension of in a meeting.

What refrigerant ? Asking me if i know what it is? or if there is any? Necessary to get answer? You and me both know the answer is yes, surely no refrigerant - no cooling.
    Ambient temperature ? In what compartment?
    Air on ? On what instrument, ? Necessary to get correct repair answer?
    Air off ?
    Evap air velocity ? Measured how? Necessary to get correct answer?
    Suction pressure ? measured how and with what, Necessary to get correct repair answer?
    Suction temperature ? measured how and with what, Necessary to get correct repair answer?
    Discharge pressure ? measured how and with what, Necessary to get correct repair answer?
    Discharge temperature ? measured how and with what, Necessary to get correct repair answer?
    Liquid line temperature ? measured how and with what, Necessary to get correct repair answer?

what you should have said is, get a firm understanding of refrigeration and componentry, anywhere other than this forum, then come back to me. I will then dispense an answer.

on the flipside if I knew this I wouldnt be here.

grizzly I feel for you and electrical engineers, I can relate, keeping up with technology is crazy in any field of work, especially in white goods etc where there seems to be no repair/haynes-esque manuals, even though there's only about 30 bits to a fridge. Its easier to get into and understand a pc/laptop/console or into a bike engine or car engine bay than it is to understand refrigeration!

I'm happy enough with the info provided. if this does not work, I will give up and concede defeat and get my dusty wallet out

If still cant get it to work and to tight to ge your wallet out pm me your address and i'll send you some matches and some accelerant

4 spanner bad mech

all them questions are standard for me to ascertain the condition of your system and start to diagnose what is happening, your just lucky that tonto knew these systems as most here would not even consider looking at one as they are domestics. There are stepping stones in this game from college leaving to the biggest most complex systems that is normaly taken by engineers (although some jump straight in the deep end) which does not include domestics as these are normally only looked at by multiskilled 'white goods' engineers' and not by a/c or refrigeration engineers...looking through all your posts, there is surely only one conclusion but as I am not qualified in that field I will not state my diagnosis, but expect others to arrive at the same conclusion, when they view the attached it will be without doubt !

you have come here, insulted the forum & skillset of very high calibre engineers & still been lucky and got your info - which again was lucky I asked Tonto for & he was kind enough to share - had the regulars spotted your insults- you would have recieved nothing but insults returned

[QUOTE=BadMechanic;242426]ive quickly come to the conclusion this site is a pile of nonsense. no one actually knows what they are talking about in a "matter of fact" way. People just throw rehashed nonsense at you. if you want some facts, ask a shop that sells spares, if they arent D**ks they will help you.[/QUOTE]
    Attached Files Attached Files

bet the **** has an asbo, wont be long till he gets a fraction!! no burberry-his mum must have washed it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    4 spanner bad mech

all them questions are standard for me to ascertain the condition of your system and start to diagnose what is happening, your just lucky that tonto knew these systems as most here would not even consider looking at one as they are domestics. There are stepping stones in this game from college leaving to the biggest most complex systems that is normaly taken by engineers (although some jump straight in the deep end) which does not include domestics as these are normally only looked at by multiskilled 'white goods' engineers' and not by a/c or refrigeration engineers...looking through all your posts, there is surely only one conclusion but as I am not qualified in that field I will not state my diagnosis, but expect others to arrive at the same conclusion, when they view the attached it will be without doubt !

you have come here, insulted the forum & skillset of very high calibre engineers & still been lucky and got your info - which again was lucky I asked Tonto for & he was kind enough to share - had the regulars spotted your insults- you would have recieved nothing but insults returned

bad mechanic!!! more like jumped up lil ****e- buy a new fridge and get a 5 yr warranty- ******!!

Haha

Install, was wondering when you and others would spot the diss-respect of the Bad Mechanic

When you choose a name like that, makes you wonder from the off

Why does she expect a right to answers ??

Some people are strange, check out all the posts, I was about to ring the mental asylums to see if they lost one

R's chillerman

if hes identified that it aint defrosting then surely he can test voltage or supply voltage to his defrost heater to identify if the element has burnt out,or the termination klixon is open circuit? then he wouldnt want to chat crap on here- oh and his home pic looks like he went to a special school,the ones where u were a helmet to protect the walls when u butt them, also they put antiseptic on the glass so u dont lick it!!!haha

AH Monkey
    Leave him alone or he'll get his mates from the Blue Oyster after you.
    Once they have figured out how to Transform into men.
    Knob gobblers like that give this country a bad name ,but on the plus side he's on the other side of the border.
    So one of yours perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    oh and his home pic looks like he went to a special school,the ones where u were a helmet to protect the walls when u butt them, also they put antiseptic on the glass so u dont lick it!!!haha
    Cheers

Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by stufus View Post
    AH Monkey
    Knob gobblers like that give this country a bad name ,but on the plus side he's on the other side of the border.
    So one of yours perhaps

Cheers

Stu
    hehehe

we was hopeing you was a bit closer and pop round with an hair brush for him or better still give him a good clip with it !

R's chillerman

probably one of chillermans love child's ask him if he could send a piccy of his mum??? he does have a **** ny look!haha
    Quote Originally Posted by stufus View Post
    AH Monkey
    So one of yours perhaps

Cheers

Stu

Haha

check out ''Tontos'' link mate ....domestics have changed there setup since we stopped playing with them

Its a nice link on thermistors

R's chillerman

OIT

Northern Monkey....leave us c0cknies out of this

he has the same eyes as u!! haha

Whats that then ?

2 with black bits in the middle ?

Or they light up when in the presence of a nice bit of skirt ?

haha-so u havent been fishing and caught his mum?/sister/gran haha

BadMechanic Guest

yes i have went a bit mental recently. hence my posting at 4am. props to all that give info, sorry for any hurt feelings, thanks to all who needed to check my profile too

hahaha

the email (yours) was to confirm to all what you are. 'ninja' email address - I dont need to say anymore

the picture was to ensure everyone see's what your (a) 'mug' looks like

seriously boys think you need to get a chatroom for this kind of lovin and then you can both go on dinner date and argue over the bill enjoy
    I can fix broke but I cant fix stupid :)

Quote Originally Posted by simon@parker View Post
    seriously boys think you need to get a chatroom for this kind of lovin and then you can both go on dinner date and argue over the bill enjoy
    Sorry 'Simon the trainee Mod'
    its not me honest its him, everytime I try to sit down he's there, right up my rear install stop sniffing its not healthy

R's chillerman

not dining with him,i aint sharing my kebab!!haha

meant u an badmech
    I can fix broke but I cant fix stupid :)

nom nom nom -oh chillerman ur my hero nom nom nom haha!!! prawn lash!!!haha
    Quote Originally Posted by BadMechanic View Post
    this is probably the most petty forum i have been on ever. I regret even signing up to this as no one is any help whatsoever. forums are here to demystify problems, and downtalk useless people, all the vip members are the biggest wastes of time ever. Squabbling little queens with no answers = useless

chillerman - your great. so what you can put myemail address and picture on a pdf, so what, i could put a little willie on a pdf and call it chillerman. i would be so close to your likeness even your mum would kiss it.

you are a pathetic keyboard warrior . at least people have the email address of an honest person who will call out pathetic people like you