falibhatti Guest

Post what is surge in chiller

hi,
    i recently job this field, now days i,m doing duty at york centrifugal chillier model YKDGHQ57CNF, 740 ton capicty , i want to learn about chillier , ok can any 1 help me, what is the SURGE , Explain thanks lot in advance

Blog Entries

Re: what is surge in chiller

By the very definition of Surge Drum (if that is what you asking), it is a vessel that is designed to provide a given volume or residence time for the fluid passing through.
    Last edited by nike123; 13-04-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by falibhatti View Post
    hi,
    i recently job this field, now days i,m doing duty at york centrifugal chillier model YKDGHQ57CNF, 740 ton capicty , i want to learn about chillier , ok can any 1 help me, what is the SURGE , Explain thanks lot in advance
    Try this
    http://www.mcquaybiz.com/mcquaybiz/l.../AG_31_002.pdf

It is for Mcquay but a centrifugal never the less.

In a centrifugal compressor, 'surge' is a name given to a dangerously unstable gas condition in the compressor and condenser.

Put simply, it occurs when the forward compression thrust of gases in the compressor wheel falls below the critical velocity of the gas to flow forward through the condenser.

When this happens, the pressure in the condenser is greater than the tip pressure of the compressor wheel and gas flows backwards from the condenser into the compressor. This has the effect of slowing the compressor down. At the same time the current will increase.

When the compressor is able to overcome the instability in gas flow, it flows forward to the condenser again, only to repeat the process. The repeating cycle can occur rapidly, several times a minute.

It is unmistakable when it is happening - you cannot mistake it.

First, the compressor will make a sound as if it is speeding up and slowing down (which is what is happening).

Second, the compressor current draw (amperage) will start to increase and decrease.

Thirdly and finally, the compressor thrust assembly and bearings may become damaged and cause further damage to the gearbox.

Excessive pressures in the condenser may rupture the safety disc or blow the relief valve.

This is a condition that you don't want and usually indicates compressor loading and/or condensing problems.

can u explain me wat is delta p p ,

Delta P = pressure difference, Delta T = Temperature difference.

Usually the pressures or temperature differences entering and leaving a heat exchanger or vessel.

gary cato Guest

surge is gas reversal from condenser high pressure through wheel into evaporator. this is caused more lift than the compressor was designed for. eg. high condenser, low load conditions,or incorrect charge.

cool_waves2001 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post

In a centrifugal compressor, 'surge' is a name given to a dangerously unstable gas condition in the compressor and condenser.

Put simply, it occurs when the forward compression thrust of gases in the compressor wheel falls below the critical velocity of the gas to flow forward through the condenser.

When this happens, the pressure in the condenser is greater than the tip pressure of the compressor wheel and gas flows backwards from the condenser into the compressor. This has the effect of slowing the compressor down. At the same time the current will increase.

When the compressor is able to overcome the instability in gas flow, it flows forward to the condenser again, only to repeat the process. The repeating cycle can occur rapidly, several times a minute.

It is unmistakable when it is happening - you cannot mistake it.

First, the compressor will make a sound as if it is speeding up and slowing down (which is what is happening).

Second, the compressor current draw (amperage) will start to increase and decrease.

Thirdly and finally, the compressor thrust assembly and bearings may become damaged and cause further damage to the gearbox.

Excessive pressures in the condenser may rupture the safety disc or blow the relief valve.

This is a condition that you don't want and usually indicates compressor loading and/or condensing problems.

thxs for information, i want 2 knwo more how it ill effect on thrust, bearings and gearbox.realy frm manydays i hv doubt i read it ur answer its realy wonderful,pls replay me