Thread: R422d

R422d

Just done a couple of R22 retrofits onto R422d anyone had any experiences of this, seems to leak more than R22!

Re: R422d

Leaks are probably the no 1 problem with this refrigerant when retrofitting from an old R22 system especially with service valve glands, ptfe joints and basically any type of seal including compressor terminals. If you listen to Du Pont or Isceon its a straight forward retrofit when in fact if you do not ensure its leak free on the retrofit you will be back to repair it fairly quickly. There have been one or two articles in the trade press regarding problems with leaks and what companies have done to ensure a leak free system mainly in chillers.

basically its rots seals like crazy

anyone using it ... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by chillled View Post
    Just done a couple of R22 retrofits onto R422d anyone had any experiences of this, seems to leak more than R22!

Honeywell and WR are using it to replace R22 to some degree of success.

They go into the store mob handed and replace every seal, gland, valve or cap and then
    they put the new gas in. All done in a weekend and as far as I
    know it is very successful. They had some horror stories early on with seals failing but
    now they do a full refit they seem to have sussed it.

Not sure how good the refrigerant is long term but I have not heard of any real problems yet.

taz

Forget R422d. Just wait for recycled R22 to appear on the market and off you go until 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNickName View Post
    Forget R422d. Just wait for recycled R22 to appear on the market and off you go until 2015.

I agree but there will be a price to pay as the big industrial plant owners are buying up recycled R22 and are willing to pay a price premium to ensure supply.

Plus there is a possible amendment to the regs that state 'only recyclable to the original address' plus plus the 2015 ban is potentially being brought forward.

R DAVIES Guest

I'm just in the middle of retrofitting a number of my sites at the moment.

All that I can say is all that we left that was original was the Plant and Header Station frames! Apparently its the shape of the molecule that makes this stuff want to leak and it also causes old seals to contract/shrink.

The head temp is lower than R22 so caution needs to be taken if the system has a Sat Gas D/F and all reg valves need to be set correctly.

If the site is surveyed and retrofitted/commissioned correctly I can't see any reason to why this won't be a successful short term interim refrigerant, plus the cost of R22 should soon overtake the cost of R422D.

Would also recommend a good leak detector as ours pick up this refrigerant very well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by R DAVIES View Post
    I'm just in the middle of retrofitting a number of my sites at the moment.

All that I can say is all that we left that was original was the Plant and Header Station frames! Apparently its the shape of the molecule that makes this stuff want to leak and it also causes old seals to contract/shrink.

The head temp is lower than R22 so caution needs to be taken if the system has a Sat Gas D/F and all reg valves need to be set correctly.

If the site is surveyed and retrofitted/commissioned correctly I can't see any reason to why this won't be a successful short term interim refrigerant, plus the cost of R22 should soon overtake the cost of R422D.

Would also recommend a good leak detector as ours pick up this refrigerant very well!!!

We are interested in your experiences with koolgas and the level of work hours,matls etc required before the system is re-charged. Once running -then what ? Do you spend a day or so baby sitting each system?