Business marketing

I have been working as a service tech doing commercial refrigeration for over 10 years working with a company.
    Thinking about starting my own business for servicing refrig equip in light commercial area. How do i market my business and attract new customers?
    Any advices?

Re: Business marketing

One good thing is to enroll on a business course at college and learn about business and marketing.

Try your Business Link centres.

On another front, youre either have business acumen or you dont. Self employment is not suited for everyone.

Do you have any previous business skills?
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

Ementyhet Guest

Business marketing

Hi,It took me a good 3 years before i could go full time, i never rest on my laurels now, continuous marketing, i have targets of getting new clients each month, which keeps me focused. The trick is, to work out what marketing works for you, and use it. I have now been in business 13 years, and absolutely love going to work.Therapist1960uk

You really need a few contacts before you start, would the company that you are currently working for be interested in using you as a subcontractor? If so this would allow you to begin to attract your own clients whilst having an income.
    I think that marketing for a small business can be quite a challenge, because you cannot afford a huge marketing budget, I think that you should try and knock on a few doors and speak to your clients in person, will you get a website built? As if somebody hears about your company thats the first thing that they will check to have an idea about you.
    Its not about just getting the work, you have got to get the work from somebody that pays, this can often be the most challenging part.

Good luck if you go for it!

Cheers
    Tutto il Mondo e un Paese

Joe@C.B.P. Guest

Smile Re: Business marketing

Quote Originally Posted by SULTAN View Post
    I have been working as a service tech doing commercial refrigeration for over 10 years working with a company.
    Thinking about starting my own business for servicing refrig equip in light commercial area. How do i market my business and attract new customers?
    Any advices?
    Sultan, congrats and best of luck. It takes hard work and dedication to get things started, but just remember, you can do it because so many have done it long before you.
    Much of what you will need in marketing and advertising can be found through research on line and by attending business classes geared towards our trade. This site is a wonderful place to start and there are also many other great web sites that offer great advice from great contractors and professionals.
    College may offer some information about advertising and marketing however, do keep in mind that some of the best educational tools you can acquire is by meeting with other business owners and experienced professionals who specilize in your trade.
    One bit of advice I have for you my friend, dont put the cart before the horse. Learn what good financial tracking is so that you can begin your marketing / advertising budget. Without good strong financials and the ability to track your finances, you advertising will mean nothing.
    Best of luck.....

Joe at C.B.P.

fridge-lover729 Guest

There is online marketing and the traditional methods of promoting your business.

Online is taking off in a big way. In 5 years time it will be huge so worth keeping watching and certainly create a website to promote your services. When doing this also provide the option for the user to submit their email address to you.

You can further down the line send them useful information about developments your particular field. It will also give you the opportunity to sell your services too.

As for other types of marketing, you'd want to advertise in directories. Here in the UK there is the yellow pages. People often use it find services they need.

Also it will be a good idea to put ads in publications that are given to businesses that use refrigeration units. Perhaps magazines that cater towards for example catering.

Quote Originally Posted by SULTAN View Post
    Any advices?