What is booster compressor?

Hi everybody!

Does any one can tell me:
    What is booster compressor and how it work?

And I have another question:

In some system, I see they use intercooler to supply liquid for air-cooler. I think it is two-stage compressor, why they use inter-cooler?

Sorry for my bad English

Re: What is booster compressor?

A booster compressor is a compressor which discharge is blown into the suction of another compressor. There are variants, but this is the main figure.

An intercooler is used when the compression ratio would cause a too high discharge temperature, or a too high suction temperature for the high stage compressor in a booster system. It's the same concept of the intercooler for a turbocharged combustion engine.

I wish my Vietnamese was as good as your English sonhdv
    You`ll normally find the booster compressor is fed to the HP compressor via a receiver with a pressure switch to unload the booster m/c when it`s up to pressure.
    The intercooler would be the aftercooler on the booster compressor.

Glenn

Booster in a compound compression plant is the first, or low stage, compressor. Second, or otherwise High stage does final step of compression to condensing pressure. You can have 3 or more stages of compression.

Intercooler is really interstage cooler, or more appropirately interstage desuperheater. It cools the discharge from a low stage compressor before it is delivered to the higher stage suction, thus the second compressor does not have very high suction superheat and does not make very high discharge superheat.

Some refrigerants can operate 2-stage compression without desuperheating; and some machines use crankcase or interstage liquid injection to effect the cooling thus precluding the need for a vessel or formal heat exchanger.

Quote Originally Posted by sterl View Post
    Some refrigerants can operate 2-stage compression without desuperheating; and some machines use crankcase or interstage liquid injection to effect the cooling thus precluding the need for a vessel or formal heat exchanger.
    I am familiar with Interstage injection of course, but have never seen a 2-stage system without some type of intercooling. Could you elaborate on that? On the crankcase injection I assume you are referring to screw machines.

Hi, NH3LVR:

During the magical time when R-502 was about outlawed and nobody could afford the replacements or the synthetic lubricants, R-22 was being compound compressed on supermarket racks with injection of liquid to the high stage compressor crankcases. Kysor Warren, Phoenix and others did this, though it was short lived as the supermarkets, ASHRAE and the ARI caught up with all the various soups being mixed at the time. Some racks relied entirely on mixing the booster discharge with near-sat vapor from the intermediate load to keep discharge temps down; others used the CC injection.

Copeland sells a compound scroll today for a 2-temp commercial upright that injects liquid directly to an annular space between the stages; though thats not really a crankcase...

Many centrifugals are multi staged with no cooling besides air over the casing. A few apply condensing water as interstage cooling.

2-stage Autocascades use a zeotropic mixture with the low stage discharge of the higher volatility component mixed with the lower volatility component at the suction of the high stage.
    Both Matsu****a and Hitachi are making single casing multistage machines for trancritical cycle on R-744. Matsu****a uses scrolls; their interest is largely for hot water heat pumps....Pressures are so high, keeping all the parts pretty compact led to the multistaging. Physically looks a little like a side channel pump. This very recent stuff.

At the other end of the spectrum: one of Wolf's improvements on the original Linde double acting horizontals was to trickle liquid ammonia directly into the head of the compressing end via a tiny automatic valve. That in 1878.

An I did not type the Asterisks in Matsu****a.

Quote Originally Posted by sterl View Post
    An I did not type the Asterisks in Matsu****a.
    That would be the profanity monitor that catches any of the specific words in English. It does not discriminate between the actual word or if it is found within the spelling of other words.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Studied it. I didn't understand what meams booster in the past time. Thanks.

instead you can always use , two-stage compressor with inbuilt intercooler . This saves you a trouble to design ,select & install de-superheater & other stuff needed .

let me know if desired further details
    can contact me on ddk0123@gmail.com

Thanks everybody

send me pm on ddk0123@gmail.com