What it the main difference between VRV and split-type air-conditioning system?

i am a student of ME, i need to compare VRV system and split-type systems in a low-rise residential building, like house has 3 floors.

i cannot search many informations about the VRV systems. any suggestion to access those information about residential VRV?

And how to calculate the heat load of a house?

i haven't learn those things before, please give me some clue is ok....i would work on that

thanks

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: What it the main difference between VRV and split-type air-conditioning system?

Try the manufacturers' websites, they contain lots of technical design and workshop information.

As a student you should be researching this yourself.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Re: What it the main difference between VRV and split-type air-conditioning system?

Thanks, i would try to research on website.

thx for reply

if you don't mind me asking, what does VRV or VRF stand for?

english is not my native language so i'm clueless

thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frostedflake View Post
    if you don't mind me asking, what does VRV or VRF stand for?

english is not my native language so i'm clueless

thanks

VRV = Variable Refrigerant Volume (copyrighted by Daikin)
    VRF = Variable Refrigerant Flow (same thing but free to use by anyone)

Main differences between VRV & Split-type air-conditioning (3x floor residential)

While you trawl through the manufacturer’s websites, here are a few points that might help focus your attention:

a) With a residential 3-floor building, you would need to establish whether it has a single family or if it is separated into several flats. If flats, that would tend to suggest a separate split system for each dwelling so the tenant is responsible for his own running costs. (Maybe the building owner pays for the electrical power and maintenance/repairs, and apportions the cost to his tenants…that’s a bit rare here.)

b) In between VRF and single splits is “multi-splits and the mini VRF, which you might want to check also. Even a flat may want 2-3 room units in which case you might look at a multi-split (one box outside).

c) The main difference between VRF and splits is the number of condensing units (boxes outside the building). Residential buildings here in the UK do not like to see boxes on the exterior of the building; ten condensers on the walls of a residential building can looks poor and might reduce the value of the building/flats. They prefer to see as few condensers as possible, all tucked away out of sight somewhere on the roof, in a garden shed, or behind a bush.

d) Then there is cost. VRF is significantly more expensive than splits and, the system being a little more complicated, it can cost more to maintain and repair. Electrical running costs should be better with the VRF, which should in theory (and often in practice) make the total cost over several years tip the balance in its favour.

e) VRF systems contain more than 3kg of fridge gas so will (here in UK at least) require annual leak checks and records. (The larger VRF systems need more checks and detection systems etc.) Domestic splits mostly contain less than the 3kg threshold so those legal controls do not apply (just the basic need to maintain the systems for good performance and quickly fix any leaks that show up).

You are in Hong Kong so some of the above is not appropriate for you.

Hope it helps.