move2leeds Guest

Unhappy liebherr K3150 Drip tray not evaporating, liqued now foul smell

purchased the k3150 997037804 fridge 2 years ago. Several times throughout last year we had a foul smelling aroma coming from the fridge at the back.

I have subsequently discovered that's it the drip tray. The liqued is not evaporating The liquid which is sitting in it is something which can only be best described as Cheese curd and smells like it!!. I have now cleaned this, with immense difficulty as you cannot lift out the drip tray to pour out the liquid, three times now, the 3rd being tonight. Its awkward as it means pulling the fridge out, dirty and stinks. This isn't really what i expected of a quality product, which cost me over £400. Can you tell me if this is known problem, as I've seen several links on the internet suggesting it is? If so why? I have Hotpoint frost free fridge that I've had for over 10years and never had this problem? How do i solve........

Re: liebherr K3150 Drip tray not evaporating, liqued now foul smell

I have never seen one of these, however it is very unusual to have an evaperating drip tray in a domestic fridge. Not wanting to state the obvious but is there not a small hole at the bottom of it to let the water out (it is common for these to block). Normally there is one so the water runs down under the fridge to evaperate on something hot like for instance the top of the compressor

Regards

Latte

Whatever is in the drip tray comes through the drain hole from whatever is inside the fridge (on the back wall), do you think the fridge somehow creates "cheese curd" out of thin air?

move2leeds Guest

Smile Re: liebherr K3150 Drip tray not evaporating, liqued now foul smell

Quote Originally Posted by happy View Post
    Whatever is in the drip tray comes through the drain hole from whatever is inside the fridge (on the back wall), do you think the fridge somehow creates "cheese curd" out of thin air?

NO! i never realized that........ That was the first thing which we looked at to see if there were any spills coming from within the fridge which were the cause, but there hasn't been and I'm now constantly checking to see if anything is running into the drip outlet inside the fridge...... The reason the liquid looks like cheese curd is because its becoming stagnant. The posting above was what i was describing.... the liquid isn't inside the fridge its dripping from the drip outlet from inside the fridge and there is a collection type bowl which sits on the compressor at the back of the fridge on the outside, which is why the smell is emanating into the room. I would if thought that the compressor would run and any liquid would evaporate but this isn't happening......to top it all the door handle broke today and one of the drinks shelves broke last week..... not impressed with the fridge have an old Beko one in the garage that's lasted over 9 years!! and cost a third of this!!

move2leeds Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I have never seen one of these, however it is very unusual to have an evaperating drip tray in a domestic fridge. Not wanting to state the obvious but is there not a small hole at the bottom of it to let the water out (it is common for these to block). Normally there is one so the water runs down under the fridge to evaperate on something hot like for instance the top of the compressor

Regards

Latte
    I'm now constantly checking to see if anything is running into the drip outlet inside the fridge...... The reason the liquid looks like cheese curd is because its becoming stagnant. Your posting above was what i was trying to describe.... the liquid collection isn't inside the fridge its dripping from the drip outlet from inside the fridge and into a collection type bowl which sits on the compressor at the back of the fridge on the outside, which is why the smell is emanating into the room. I would if thought that the compressor would run and any liquid would evaporate but this isn't happening......and im unable to remove to pour out any liqued or clean it. Liebherr were rubbish and said to clean the bowl with Milton!! i would if i was able to remove to clean!! to top it all the door handle broke today and one of the drinks shelves broke last week..... not impressed with the fridge its only 24 months old and have an old Beko one in the garage that's lasted over 9 years!! and still going and cost a third of this!! might have to trade in for cheaper one when it dies!! which judging by everything wont be long ..... DONT BUY LIEBHERR FRIDGES!!!

It does remove,whatever has caused the problem has been spilled,raw meat may have overflowed and even a thimble full would start a culture in the liquid, aided by the heat from the compressor.Pour an egg cup full of 50% diluted bleach down the drain hole (milton is too lightweight) to kill the smell then either remove the tray or soak it up with a sponge or suck out with a WET PICK UP vacuum,not an ordinary vac but one that is for liquids.
    It won't evaporate correctly whilst the liquid is too thick etc.

move2leeds Guest

It doesnt remove, there is a metal grill which runs from the top of the fridge to the bottom which covers the container and a type of copper pipe which runs around the shape of the container leading from the motor preventing it from been able to be removed. Ive soaked all the liqued out with kitchen cloth which i left to soak all the liqued up and removed with kitchen tongs! (only thing thin enough to get in) and then cleaned with bleach, but the problem will be clear for about 4 weeks then back again......

JackMurray Guest

Hey Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I have the same problem now and it's just rancid!

The drain is blocked. Clean out the drain with plastic coated curtain wire, flush with hot water mixed with a detergent.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    The drain is blocked. Clean out the drain with plastic coated curtain wire, flush with hot water mixed with a detergent.
    Curtain wire eh? Why don't i get the easy drain blockages? Somehow i end up with drains compacted from old frozen peas and corn, then condensate frozen back up the drain! Have to persist with various cableties to move hot water around in drain. Quick hand motion required up and down, being serious here guys..., untill ice melted, then use 30psi with air compressor to blow clean. Then run hot water down it.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

annacico Guest

Unhappy Re: liebherr K3150 Drip tray not evaporating, liqued now foul smell

I've got precisely the same problem - the water dripping from the inside sits on top of the compressor which is supposed to make it evaporate, but if the water collects up bits and pieces from the fridge, it ends up on top of the compressor, and it smells so bad we almost passed out!

There is no way to remove the plastic tray - this is absurd.

Any other hints?

As a Liebherr Engineer I have seen this problem before on not only Liebherr but various other makes.
    The smell is always due to a spillage in the fridge allowing this to collect in the evaporation tray.
    If it was milk or cream it will curdle with the heat from the compressor which is only designed to evaporate the defrost water.
    On the K3150 the compressor has to be released from it's mounting pins and pulled out slightly to remove the drip tray. Some bending of the refrigeration pipework is required and should be done very carefully.
    Or better still callout an approved Liebherr Engineer and get it remove proffesionly, for cleanig.