Daikin RY71FJ7V1 Fault

I was called out to an R22 Daikin unit with E3 high pressure fault compressor keeps tripping within a couple of seconds.
    The unit was reinstalled by a company a couple of weeks ago they have told the customer its nothing to do with there installation work. when i put the gauges on there is no sign of any refrigerant on either the gas or liquid valves, i rang daikin and they were as baffled as me and said it must have a mager leak which that may be the case i will be going back with a bottle of OFN, but if this is the case why is it showing high pressure fault.

Also have a look at what I found when I went to the outdoor units 12" between the fans facing each other and insulation missing on some pipe work apparently all of these units have just been reinstalled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Daikin RY71FJ7V1 Fault

They haven't opened the valves....

I think your probably right I thought of that after I left didnt have alot of time. thanks for the input.

No sign of any horse sh-t! they must of cleaned it up before they galloped off into the sunset!!!!!!!!

PP

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

You should have connected your guages to the internal access ports not the service valves; as said above - the valves could be shut still.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by multisync View Post
    They haven't opened the valves....
    Probably right! I've been to a few installs with the same faults and that was the cause.

Although if so, his gauges should be reading a vacuum.
    I can't tell if they are or not from the pic. I'm just replying to say that tonyh shouldn't just open the valves if he goes back and finds that they are closed. They either have a leak or they never evacuated the indoor/pipes.

edit: Of course all this is a minor detail compared to the fact that they installed the units on a balcony so close together.
    Last edited by paul_h; 28-02-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    Probably right! I've been to a few installs with the same faults and that was the cause.

Although if so, his gauges should be reading a vacuum.
    It is obvious that he naturally fitted his gauges on the std service ports.The last picture proves this BTW (As you would when you vac an install out.) If the valves were/are shut then the installation isn't finished. The pipes need to be tested proved then the valves open.

I can't see where you get the gauges should be reading a vacuum unless you believe the last guy vac'ed out the pipes to prove but never returned?

It's not a real major that they are so close our summers rarely reach 30 and with a bit of board the air can easily be deflected away.
    Last edited by frank; 01-03-2009 at 06:23 AM.

nice one, even if you get the unit up and running they are going to go out on HP all of the time, some people have just got no idea!
    i feel sorry for who ever has to clean up the mess!

Quote Originally Posted by multisync View Post
    I can't see where you get the gauges should be reading a vacuum unless you believe the last guy vac'ed out the pipes to prove but never returned?
    That's exactly what I meant. In a half finished install, ie the valves were never opened because they forgot, the evacation they did prior to opening the valves should still be there.
    Because of course they shouldn't have any leaks, they haven't opened the valves to let pressure in, and they did evacuate properly.

I've only come across installers that forgot to open the valves, not any dodgey brothers inc that did a complete **** job and never even attempted to install properly, so YMMV and you may be correct in the fact that these cowboys never even hooked up a vac pump.

edit: So what I'm saying is that tonyh should not open the valves unless they want to reclaim, evacuate the whole system and reweigh the charge.
    Better to pressure test and then evacuate the piping before opening the service valves if they are in fact closed right now.
    Last edited by paul_h; 28-02-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Mind you, we are all assuming that there is even refrigerant in the unit itself.

Apart from the closed valves, it could actually be pumping air or OFN.
    Retired March 2015

yeah well the valves have to be shut for it to go out on HP with no gas... or your depressor pin is not seating on the valve, i have gone out to a job where it has been installed for 12 months and the customer said the system worked, i put my guages on and it was at a vaccum, i thought i had to fix a gas leak as the system was running at a vaccum but the service valves were shut.
    held the vac for 12 months so i put my vac pump on again as i may have let some air in the system and then opened the service ports.

why not take the caps off the service valves and see if they are still wound in or out , if they are out theirs no gas , if they are still in they could be a charge in the outdoor unit just a thought ????

Obviously that is a valid point, but tonyh didn't post this thread from on site, isn't currently on site, and never thought about looking at whether the valves were open before leaving the job and posting here.
    Also how would a system with open valves but no gas trip out on HP?

edit:
    But like brian suggested, expecting there to be a full charge in the condenser gives more credit that what is due to these installers. Normally people moving a/cs would pump down, move a/cs, install pipework and locate the unit properly, evacuate lines and open the valves.
    I've thought about it and there's no way that someone who was awake would disconnect their gauges from the service valve when it's still in vac. Everyone who knows what they're doing wants positive pressure in the lines before they remove gauge

If the lines aren't in a vacuum because they forgot to open the valves, you can't trust them to have piped properly, installed properly, pumped down properly or anything. Who would re-install without test running a system anyway?
    Mistakes like forgetting to open the valves happens, but installers would find out about their own mistakes when they test run the system before leaving site. Obviously they didn't do that and stuffed nearly everything else up too.
    I only posted in this thread for two reasons, one to say multisync was spot on and give him rep. Two, to warn tonyh to not just open the valves and think job done and all is well.
    Last edited by paul_h; 01-03-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Hopefully tonyh will post back his findings when he has returned to site and carried out the basic checks.

PP

So i take it it was never commisioned then
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by marc5180 View Post
    So i take it it was never commisioned then
    Only when no-one was looking
    Retired March 2015

Hi Sorry for the late update but have just been back today and carried out a leak test there is a leak quite a big one not on the outdoor unit so must be either cassette flares, nail in the pipe or bad braze joint unfortunatley no inspection hatch so ceiling will have to be opened up which the customer did not want me to carry out today because of upset to clients.
    The taps where turned off and there is gas in the outdoor unit how much dont know as yet, but it would seem to me that whoever comissioned the unit new there was a leak so did not release gas but because the ceiling is sealed did not say anything hoping no one would be any the wiser.