Lancs Bomber Guest

coldroom cleaning products

Can anyone offer me advise or their opinion regarding a problem i have with a customer.

The customer accepted a quote in december regarding the installation of a coldroom plus refrigerating equipment and commissioning it.

There was no completion date put in writing only that it maybe completed for xmas on a verbal say.

The customer was left to organise a sound level floor of which upon our first arrival to erect the coldroom the floor was deemed unfit as it was wet and unlevel.

The customer employed a builder to correct the floor and we had to re arrange to go back to re start.

We completed the full install in two days and didnt proceed with any further billing for the time/travel/fuel lost in the first visit as we deemed it a good will gesture.

The problem i have is that we cleaned the coldroom internally and externally with white spirits as this is what we have always used to remove deposits.

The customer complained that due to the smell he could not use it for 2 weeks and hired a refrigerated van to store his product at a cost of £300. Of which he has passed onto our company.

Like i said there was no completion date put in writing on the quote and that cleaning the coldroom was part of the installation. Plus had the floor been correct in the first instance then the install would have been completed sooner.

Does anyone have a view or any method of cleaning where i could possibly avoid this situation in the future?

Your feed back is appreciated!!

Re: coldroom cleaning products

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Bomber View Post
    Can anyone offer me advise or their opinion regarding a problem i have with a customer.

The customer accepted a quote in december regarding the installation of a coldroom plus refrigerating equipment and commissioning it.

There was no completion date put in writing only that it maybe completed for xmas on a verbal say.

The customer was left to organise a sound level floor of which upon our first arrival to erect the coldroom the floor was deemed unfit as it was wet and unlevel.

The customer employed a builder to correct the floor and we had to re arrange to go back to re start.

We completed the full install in two days and didnt proceed with any further billing for the time/travel/fuel lost in the first visit as we deemed it a good will gesture.

The problem i have is that we cleaned the coldroom internally and externally with white spirits as this is what we have always used to remove deposits.

The customer complained that due to the smell he could not use it for 2 weeks and hired a refrigerated van to store his product at a cost of £300. Of which he has passed onto our company.

Like i said there was no completion date put in writing on the quote and that cleaning the coldroom was part of the installation. Plus had the floor been correct in the first instance then the install would have been completed sooner.

Does anyone have a view or any method of cleaning where i could possibly avoid this situation in the future?

Your feed back is appreciated!!
    Contact the coldroom manufacturer on his recommended cleaning method.
    Did the customer offer you the chance to 'rectify' the problem before hiring a cabin?
    The floor issue is a red herring as the customer hasn't specified completion dates and you waived delay charges.(however make a detailed cost of the potential loss you made through this goodwill gesture)
    Recommended guidelines is that all food is covered when refrigerated. Thus contamination from the 'smell' should not occur.

Your verbal promise becomes "part" of the contract.

and didnt proceed with any further billing for the time/travel/fuel lost in the first visit as we deemed it a good will gesture.
    You forgave the charge, so he is not indebted to you.
    • Did you tell him that you were not going to charge him?
    • What was the delay?
    • How much did it cost you?

Was there a smell?
    Was it unusable?
    What was the product being stored?
    What would an "expert" say, ie: a health and safety official qualified to determine if its use was safe?

Like i said there was no completion date put in writing on the quote and that cleaning the coldroom was part of the installation.
    But you said you gave a verbal promise?
    Can he prove you said it?
    Were there any witnesses?

You said you got the order in December.
    When did installation begin? ie: the date?

Need to add on the "wasted" time which was the purchasers fault.

Plus had the floor been correct in the first instance then the install would have been completed sooner.
    Yes
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

Paul Hands Guest

We supply panels (factory seconds) but also build rooms, we find that one of the best products is cillit bang. Leaves the room food safe and with a nice smell, if there are any really bad marks then Ajax power cleaner can be used. Both work better than white spirits and without that strong odour.