Ice around outside unit

My unit is heavily snowed up outside, I have removed a lot of the snow but there is a lot of condensate water that has frozen under and around the back and front of the unit, I am concerned this ice is going to start building up inside the unit as it cant drain away when it defrosts, the coil is nice and clear as the defrost is doing that quite well.

The problem is because the unit is mounted on the floor outside.

The system has been running non stop for about a week now.

Will it be ok like this or do I need to get rid of this thick ice thats building up in front and underneath?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Ice around outside unit

I would suggest trying to remove the ice build up if possible.

It is not unknown for ice to compress the condenser tubes that it encases. This is more true of older systems with thinner wall thickness pipes but better safe than sorry.

Next question - how to do it without damaging things? I have in the past filled a garden sprayer, 8 litre, with a brine solution (hot water also helps) to raise the ice freeze point. Beware of course for any run-off not to cause icy ground or salt damage to plants.

edit: Can you lift the unit onto some wood to provide more ground clearance?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I'd try and get rid of it, if it can stop getting away, ice will start forming inside the outdoor unit and eventually smash your fan blade.

Andy

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy AC View Post
    I'd try and get rid of it, if it can stop getting away, ice will start forming inside the outdoor unit and eventually smash your fan blade.

Andy
    Well said Andy, I'd forgotten that disastrous aspect of it. I've dug a few out in my time.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

definetly get rid of the ice first then elevate the unit 12 in. if you can. in my area we alway set units on a 12in pad. I dont like coming back to repare a crussed reff. line. at 15deg. outside.

Put the system in Cooling for 15 minutes - hey presto!! Coil and surroundings clear + thousands of local cats sprawled out drying off!

Hey guys

Thanks for all the suggestions. Were unable to raise the unit as its screwed down into the granite slabs outside but what I have done is put salt down in front of the unit and at the back and brushed some underneath.

We had it in cooling last night as well so this should have helped.

Thanks guys.

hey back2 space, yes heat pumps have come on in the last 20 years but in extream ambiant temps another heat source is advisable, even if its only to give the h-p time to give it a good defrosting, and as tankerbox says it could do with lifting < its screwed to granite =unscrew it ,lift it,a FOOT and give it a rest at least one hour a day
    by the way isent it an invertor?
    sedgy

Quote Originally Posted by sedgy View Post
    hey back2 space, yes heat pumps have come on in the last 20 years but in extream ambiant temps another heat source is advisable, even if its only to give the h-p time to give it a good defrosting, and as tankerbox says it could do with lifting < its screwed to granite =unscrew it ,lift it,a FOOT and give it a rest at least one hour a day
    by the way isent it an invertor?
    sedgy
    Hey there

Yes it is an inverter. What do u mean by giving it a rest once a day it's not going to defrost unless it's put into cooling at these low temps is it.

hi back 2 space, you seam to indicate that the unit runs on + on wether its undersise or you have poor insulation or your wife leaves the doors open I dont know?
    I have never worked on an invertor< well before my time< but reading articles sugest that they are prone to cooking the compressor and reading the above article yours seams to be a prime subject if it runs for a week without stopping < I couldent run for 10 mins without stopping< hope your weather gets warm soon, , sedgy

Quote Originally Posted by back2space View Post
    Hey guys

Thanks for all the suggestions. Were unable to raise the unit as its screwed down into the granite slabs outside but what I have done is put salt down in front of the unit and at the back and brushed some underneath.

We had it in cooling last night as well so this should have helped.

Thanks guys.
    Salty water and lg's don't mix

Quote Originally Posted by sedgy View Post
    hi back 2 space, you seam to indicate that the unit runs on + on wether its undersise or you have poor insulation or your wife leaves the doors open I dont know?
    I have never worked on an invertor< well before my time< but reading articles sugest that they are prone to cooking the compressor and reading the above article yours seams to be a prime subject if it runs for a week without stopping < I couldent run for 10 mins without stopping< hope your weather gets warm soon, , sedgy
    What I mean is the heating has just been left on 24/7 for the last week or so, at night turn the set points down to 18C, was getting sick of waiting all day for the room temps to get upto comfortable levels from 9C.

It does cycle on and off and overnight its off quite a bit. I reckon this is where all the ice has come from though, i should be renting the space out in front of the unit I must have a 1x1mtr square mini ice rink from all the condensate run off!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy AC View Post
    Salty water and lg's don't mix
    Thats why I made sure it wasnt on the coils just on the floor around it and underneath.

ok back2space, happy de-frosting and I hope you get many torvil + deans on your new ice rink, sedgy,