Aircraft Air Conditioning

Hello All,
    Anyone know of any companies in the UK that service/maintain aircraft a/c systems.

Cheers

Raymond

Re: Aircraft Air Conditioning

Hi Rdocwra,
    I think your best bet would be a reputable aouto A/C company. The small aircraft I used to work on in Saudi all had York compressors driven from the prop. A BIT DODGY TO SAY THE LEAST.
    Try contacting an airport that servises small aircraft. Luton should be close to you.
    "The old codger"

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Hi Richard, I used to work on Cessna single and turbo-prop aircraft at Booker airfield near High Wycombe when I was with the old company.

The systems used to be, and some no doubt still are, on R12. When it came to upgrading/replacing due to lack of R12 the aircraft service company at the airfield became to UK/European agent for the R134a upgrades.

Helped out their tech to change the first one over and then left him to it. We would attend to perform the pressure tests and eventual recharge.

What info are you after ?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Sorry, PS...

Alweays use minimum 36" hoses when working on an engine driven compressor; and sit in the ****pit holding your gauge set
    Retired March 2015

Hi Brian,
    Just wanted to find out about jobs. Seems like more and more planes in the area, all of which will have a/c and someones got to fix them.
    I am lucky, i have Cambridge (Marshalls) airport 10mins down the road & Stansted & Luton are both within 45 mins drive from my house.
    Summers coming up & i am aware i probably will not see my kids for the next six months so just looking at other options

Regards

Raymond

One problem with aircraft Richard is that they are worse than cars. The pipework tends to disappear through a bulkhead never to be seen again until the evaporator.

It is interesting work though, a very clean environment which is always a pleasant change.

Let's put it this way, if you can do A/C work then you should be able to do aircraft; no doubt you can check/recharge a car if you wanted to and apart from higher quality workmanship there is no difference. Most small aircraft have an electrically driven compressor so you don't need the engines running.

You need to check with the aircraft maintenance firms to find the level of work available and whether they would employ you/your firm.
    Retired March 2015

Red face Re: Aircraft Air Conditioning

hi
    well i am new to this,but i had read that aircraft conditioning runs on a closed air refrigeration cycle,also that the electrical equipments need somewhere upto 10-20 tonnes of cooling at the high velocities(or am i wrong about it??).isnt air refrigeration cycle better for aircraft airconditioning??

closed air refrigeration cycle is in the big ones ie 737, 747,757 .

small ones uses simple air condition systems like MAC's

chemi

If anyones got loads of time go into www.boeing.com & type in "air conditioning" in the search box. there is loads of info on the big stuff.

Regards

Raymond

Jrengineseer Guest

hi everybody. i'm an aircraft maintenance student and during my study i was asked to present on aircraft air conditioning system. i've search all over the web for info but found very little, especially on a/c circuit diagram. could anyone give some info on it.

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    If anyones got loads of time go into boeing.com & type in "air conditioning" in the search box. there is loads of info on the big stuff.

Regards

Raymond
    Thanks for that many interesting and as you said.