Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C&g 2079

Re: C&g 2079

passed today . was told it lasted forever ....well until they change it lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by tony--1 View Post
    passed today . was told it lasted forever ....
    They said the same to me when I got the 2078
    Last edited by frank; 16-02-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Passed on thursday, Nice one!!

passed dec 2006

passed today.

Hi, Passed my 2079 march 3rd 2010, posted a reply in F-Gas exam questions thread, all the best to any lads still to do it. Kev

Talking Re: C&g 2079

passed feb 09
    thanks coolconcerns

mr a Guest

Hi there, I am new to this site , Is there anybody out there that can help me pass the F2079

passed cg 2079 today,excellent tutor,good course learned a lot

pased c&g at ellis training why take citb every 5 years when you do not have to renew c&g

In response to the question by AndyAC, Constructionskills (CITB) is valid for 5 years then taken again. C&G 2079 has no time set against it at present.

Not been in here for quite some time and thought it was time to pop back in. Managed to pass the 2079 on 11th june. Not quite as hard as I thought it was going to be but not exactly easy, I know some guys that will find it very hard going! If you have half decent knowledge in your job and a willingness to learn some new stuff then it really shouldn't pose a problem. Practical was pretty easy, nothing more than most of you guys will do day to day

daz

passed july 2009. enjoyed it ,

I passed C&G 2079 Cat1 on 30 April 2010

30th November 2009 only just seen this thread

passed mine jan 2010 must have been the first in the company!! and the least experienced!!! get in!

passed my 2079 friday ,good course , practical easy peasy, theory i got 88% prob took about 25 minutes .
    felt good to pass . was good to go over everything to do the course , almost like a refresher course , jog the brain cells into gear . the c&g you dont have to retest after 5 years , but the citb one you have to .

passed last week, sat the 3 day course but some of the guys ,anaged to get the preactical done on the second day but due to legth of one on one practical half had to turn up the following day, thought the practical was a little stretched out but theory side was ok, sat with hrp who where very good,

crayfish Guest

passed the other day happy days

Passed mine about 6 months ago, I found it abit to easy to be honest, i think it should be alot more of a challenge to get thorough

all passed year 1 and 2 of C&G and f-gas...... June 2010,, hurry for no more homework.....

Passed the C&G 2079 CAT 1 last week, Its about time that the industry had a proper standard qualification.
    The only thing i would change would be raise the pass mark!, 60% i thought was a little low!.,

Re: C & g 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    OK Frank, can you enlighten the rest of the world, what the hell is C & G 2009.
    As an aside is everyone aware of the Copenhagen conference impending. All to do with refrigerants. carbon taxes etc.. Big brother and tree huggers are going to kill our industry.
    magoo

Just been reading throught the posts and I see that no one has answered your question. Let me explain it briefly.

City and guilds is an examination board that was set up in the UK over 100 years ago. It was mainly there as an examining board for trades people that worked on the tools. And they were three levels A, B, and C, although now there are nine levels. And are now called level one to nine. Level one is the lowest level and nine being equilavent to a PHD. They used to be with you for life, but now its a different case for some reason.

Usually to be a qualified trades person in the UK you need to have at least two of these City and Guilds to at least level three. Which usually can take eighteen months on full time block release, or three years on part time day and evening.

Since someone dreamed up the theory of "Ozone Depletion" and "Global Warming". They also dreamed up of a way of forcing some trades to have a minimum standard of training and qualifications. The City and Guilds 2078/79 being one of them. Whether or not you knew what you were doing, and already had thirty plus years of experience behind you.

Not being content with taking your money off you once for the training and examination, they made the qualification last for three plus years. After which it runs out then you have to do it all again, otherwise your breaking the law and you won't be able to purchase fridge gas.

You need to go back to a City and Guilds approved training centre and once again learn or prove you know how to use a recovery machine, make mechanical and brazed joints, the safe use of oxy/fuel gas, pressure test and vack out, charge with an Azeotrope blend, and pass a theory test.

Imagine that though, installing pipework on Monday, pressure testing and vacking out on Tuesday, then on Wednesday you can't gas it up because on that day your qualification has run out. And there's no one else available to gas up or commision the system. And some people say its about time they had a qualification like this!...?

Quote Originally Posted by chilliwilly View Post
    Imagine that though, installing pipework on Monday, pressure testing and vacking out on Tuesday, then on Wednesday you can't gas it up because on that day your qualification has run out. And there's no one else available to gas up or commision the system. And some people say its about time they had a qualification like this!...?
    What like no one in the whole of Europe? Every single engineer is unavaliable or their qualification ran out the same day too?

Doesn't sound likely. Have you got anything even slightly convincing?
    Last edited by r.bartlett; 26-09-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    What like no one in the whole of Europe? Every single engineer is unavaliable or their qualification ran out the same day too?

Doesn't sound likely. Have you got anything even slightly convincing?
    ...One man band maybe, or two or three. Or maybe one engineer trained up and licenced, with a couple of others trained up and working supervised. As the company is struggling financially and hasn't got the financial recsources to renew on the deadline.

Unless of course they can find maybe "like someone in the whole of Europe," who's up to date and prepared to drop everything and come and get you out of the sh!t, Because they wholly agree with the qualfication and its implementation. Failing that I suppose they could just carry on and use their stock of *****, and just hope that the EPA's satelite just doesn't happen to be zoomed in and watching them on that particular day.

Is that a bit more convincing for you? If not please continue to post and I will endeavour to try and slightly convince you further.
    Last edited by chilliwilly; 26-09-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added text

...One man band maybe, or two or three. Or maybe one engineer trained up and licenced, with a couple of others trained up and working supervised. As the company is struggling financially and hasn't got the financial recsources to renew on the deadline.
    Sadly if you can't afford to train you can't afford to be in the business. Sad but true.

If a OMB is so badly organized he let his ticket run out then that's his fault and his responsibility.We're in a recession and God knows it's tight at the moment but I cannot flout the law as it puts me and my customers at risk.
    What would my customer think if I told them "sure I got them dragged through the courts/press because I was making a stand against the law or 'forgot' and yes I could have told them first that my ticket ran out and..."

Most Facilities managers etc will not thank you when get hauled over the coals because they got their company bad press by using a contractor who was breaking the law.

Remember your name will be in the press but so will your customers. YOU have the responsibility to comply irrespective of if you agree with the law or not. If you don't agree and refuse to comply at least have the decency to inform your customers first then he can make his own decision !

Unless of course they can find maybe "like someone in the whole of Europe," who's up to date and prepared to drop everything and come and get you out of the sh!t, Because they wholly agree with the qualfication and its implementation. Failing that I suppose they could just carry on and use their stock of *****, and just hope that the EPA's satelite just doesn't happen to be zoomed in and watching them on that particular day.
    As it stands engineers and subbies are two a penny. Most will pull your hand off if you offer them some work!
    If we cannot organise properly given we operate in a business where things change minute by minute then we pay the consequences. Business is only 50% hands on, the rest is legal and 'other' so I would suggest whilst it's a pain it's just a small part which should be accommodated.
    The main 'problem' is that we're mid recession and it will be the straw that breaks for some but there are going to be plenty more tests over the next couple of years which will bust more than a few irrespective of this particular regulation. Although this is only the start. The next phase will be full refrigerant regulation and traceability from source through supplier, contractor, customer and back again.

If you agree with the accreditation you will try to ensure you remain within the law. If you don't agree then you'll practice illegally. Some will bend the law and the rules and try to self justify "It's only a day" etc. Most will get away with it but if they get caught should they complain?

Is that a bit more convincing for you? If not please continue to post and I will endeavour to try and slightly convince you further.
    No not really.

If that is your whole argument then why bother to take your car test? Costs time and money and you don't get anything from it apart from a ticket which enables you drive legally?

The law is with us now and is unlikely to be rescinded. It's up to you to either mount a campaign against it and see if you can get sufficient backers to get the law changed. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    . Sad but true.

If a OMB is so badly organized he let his ticket run out then that's his fault and his responsibility.We're in a recession and God knows it's tight at the moment but I cannot flout the law as it puts me and my customers at risk.
    What would my customer think if I told them "sure I got them dragged through the courts/press because I was making a stand against the law or 'forgot' and yes I could have told them first that my ticket ran out and..."

Most Facilities managers etc will not thank you when get hauled over the coals because they got their company bad press by using a contractor who was breaking the law.

Remember your name will be in the press but so will your customers. YOU have the responsibility to comply irrespective of if you agree with the law or not. If you don't agree and refuse to comply at least have the decency to inform your customers first then he can make his own decision !

As it stands engineers and subbies are two a penny. Most will pull your hand off if you offer them some work!
    If we cannot organise properly given we operate in a business where things change minute by minute then we pay the consequences. Business is only 50% hands on, the rest is legal and 'other' so I would suggest whilst it's a pain it's just a small part which should be accommodated.
    The main 'problem' is that we're mid recession and it will be the straw that breaks for some but there are going to be plenty more tests over the next couple of years which will bust more than a few irrespective of this particular regulation. Although this is only the start. The next phase will be full refrigerant regulation and traceability from source through supplier, contractor, customer and back again.

If you agree with the accreditation you will try to ensure you remain within the law. If you don't agree then you'll practice illegally. Some will bend the law and the rules and try to self justify "It's only a day" etc. Most will get away with it but if they get caught should they complain?

No not really.

If that is your whole argument then why bother to take your car test? Costs time and money and you don't get anything from it apart from a ticket which enables you drive legally?

The law is with us now and is unlikely to be rescinded. It's up to you to either mount a campaign against it and see if you can get sufficient backers to get the law changed. Good luck
    Yes its up to me to point out the obvious shmozzle. And people like yourself to support the claims of the third party industries that have a been given a legal right to cream off the firms and engineers that already know how to read and do their job.

I scencerely hope that you or anyone else on or off this site, doesn't end up in the position of your quote "Sadly if you can't afford to train you can't afford to be in the business" A somewhat Cavalier quotation. But then again maybe you have the best customer base in the country, and you feel you have a right to make such quotes.

Let's hope that your customer base doesn't get dragged through the courts for insolvency or something worse, that will affect theirs and your business. Then you just might end up serving that quote with a large helping of humble pie. And lets also hope that you don't get undercut by some of these subbies that would take your hand off for some work. Like you say we're in a recession and no contract lasts forever. By the way can you give me their number? All the subbies that I know need a couple of days notice for work availabillity.

Who says that I'm refusing to comply anyway? I don't agree with wheel clamping neither, but if there's a notice up I won't park my motor there.

That isn't my whole argument. And my drivers licence is with me for life, as are the trade licences in North America. Unlike Europe. They don't have to renew them every three years or more.

And I don't suppose there's much point in asking you to join such a campaign then? Unless of course you find yourself eating your quote, then you just might reconsider your support for these attourneyed bandits.

Since someone dreamed up the theory of "Ozone Depletion" and "Global Warming". They also dreamed up of a way of forcing some trades to have a minimum standard of training and qualifications. The City and Guilds 2078/79 being one of them. Whether or not you knew what you were doing, and already had thirty plus years of experience behind you.

Not being content with taking your money off you once for the training and examination, they made the qualification last for three plus years. After which it runs out then you have to do it all again, otherwise your breaking the law and you won't be able to purchase fridge gas.

You need to go back to a City and Guilds approved training centre and once again learn or prove you know how to use a recovery machine, make mechanical and brazed joints, the safe use of oxy/fuel gas, pressure test and vack out, charge with an Azeotrope blend, and pass a theory test.

Hi ya Chilly.

Your not quite correct with the ticket running out.

C&G is a qualification for life and does not need to be retaken.
    What does happen though is the government change the law and qualifications need upgrading because of that.

Do not confuse C&G with CITB they both have equal qualifications but CITB does need renewing every 5 years.

As for a one man band not being able to trade Wednesday if his tickets runs out, well who is to blame there.
    The Fgas has been on the cards for about 7 years it has been in operation since 2009 and does not fully come
    into force until nexy July (2011) so there has been plenty of opportunaty to get the new Fgas qualification.

From your explanation to the original question it would sound as though you are not a fan of the new qualification

All the best

coolrunings

I am all for training that's going to educate and neccessary to make somebody a qualified tradesperson. But I am not a fan of training or organsiations that have a legal backing to repeat your training and you gain nothing from it. I have both the 2078 until next July, but to be honest even after not being in the trade for nearly 23 years, I didn't really learn anything from the course. I could've read about the safe gas handling in a publication. As we had a small recovery machine at the firm where I worked to recover a refrigerant that contained etha and some other unkown substance, so it wasn't as if I didn't know how to use it. Although I had forgot all about it until I saw the recovery machines in the training centre.

We had to use it on certain sites that implemented the safe removal of explosive/asphixiating gases. And you were supervised by a PSA clark of works that quoted some OTT jargon about the safe removal of such gases. I already had a City and Guilds FJTP in welding and fabrication, but that's not recognised for pipework and brazing for some reason. I don't why though because the qualification covers more than the CITB or the 2078/9.

Going back to the 2079, a couple of colleagues of mine couldn't get on any courses to renew over to the 2079 after their 2078 run out, along with their CITB. They were going through tough financial times up to it running out, and couldn't finance any new customer base, and couldn't afford to renew or join any organisation to cover them. So they ended up folding their businesses due to financial problems, and the Fgas regulations documention already implemented with some of their existing and potential new customers.

They found jobs within companies, if there were some concession given for the renewal time, they would still have been in business as they had new work lined up but unable to carry it out, or get any suitable and reliable subbies to carry it out. But now they're having so much a month docked from their wages to cover the cost of the companies 2079 training costs. So as you can imagine they're not too happy about it, especially when the company can claim the cost of training against their overheads.

There should be by now, a tax code for trades folk who have to provide their own training so they can continue working in their careers, with no costs incurred. If you work in a factory, you'd clock in, and clock out then go home with only your bus fares.

I didn't actually know that the 2079 lasted for life. When my 2078 runs out I don't think I'll bother renewing the CITB. Especially if its equivalent to the 2079, as it seems like a waste of money.

Can you see my point though about having to renew when you are being financially shafted and have no money to renew. A bit like running out of toilet paper when you've had a sh!t at work on a Friday afternoon, do you pull up your pants and go back to work, or wait there all weekend till the cleaner passes you another roll under the door on Monday morning.

You also have to take into consideration if you can't renew/changeover until the near deadline of your ticket running out due to course availabillity. And for some reason you miss attending, could be illness, bereavement, or some other matter. In any which case you won't be able to gas up on Wednesday. and on that day you become a criminal for finishing your job. But if a little prick steals a car or goes on the rampage and causes countless losses, they are caught, arrested, charged then released on bail and goes and does it again. The difference is they have caused intentional losses, If you gas up your system on Wednesday you haven't caused any losses except to these third party industries for not forking out to renew.

But if the 2079 is going to be for life and stays that way, and you don't need to have your CITB ticket, it shouldn't be a major problem. Once you have got it you've got it. Lets just hope that these third party industries that dream up these requirements don't make it like CORGI and the Gas Safe Register. In any case why should a change in documetation justify a membership with an organisation or renewing your qualifications. You don't have to renew your driving test when they ammend the highway code.

Yes its up to me to point out the obvious shmozzle. And people like yourself to support the claims of the third party industries that have a been given a legal right to cream off the firms and engineers that already know how to read and do their job.

I scencerely hope that you or anyone else on or off this site, doesn't end up in the position of your quote "Sadly if you can't afford to train you can't afford to be in the business" A somewhat Cavalier quotation. But then again maybe you have the best customer base in the country, and you feel you have a right to make such quotes.

Let's hope that your customer base doesn't get dragged through the courts for insolvency or something worse, that will affect theirs and your business. Then you just might end up serving that quote with a large helping of humble pie. And lets also hope that you don't get undercut by some of these subbies that would take your hand off for some work. Like you say we're in a recession and no contract lasts forever. By the way can you give me their number? All the subbies that I know need a couple of days notice for work availabillity.

Who says that I'm refusing to comply anyway? I don't agree with wheel clamping neither, but if there's a notice up I won't park my motor there.

That isn't my whole argument. And my drivers licence is with me for life, as are the trade licences in North America. Unlike Europe. They don't have to renew them every three years or more.

And I don't suppose there's much point in asking you to join such a campaign then? Unless of course you find yourself eating your quote, then you just might reconsider your support for these attourneyed bandits.

You're rambling without much purpose.

I have been running a SME since 1987 and have taken many hits in that time. The latest is 30k which has hit us hard...But no I won't be joining Luddites like you who want all the good times but whinge like a bitch when the sun goes in.

The sun hasn't gone down on me, I'm still as busy as I want to be, sure I have had losses and gains like anybody else. I just don't agree with lining the pockets of chancers who don't have to take a risk in their attourney backed business. £30k eh, I suppose it has to hurt someone at sometime. As long as it heals that's the main thing.
    Anyway keep on keeping on.
    Last edited by chilliwilly; 27-09-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: missing text

Snip
    Going back to the 2079, a couple of colleagues of mine couldn't get on any courses to renew over to the 2079 after their 2078 run out, along with their CITB.

Snip

But now they're having so much a month docked from their wages to cover the cost of the companies 2079 training costs.
    snippity snip
    I didn't actually know that the 2079 lasted for life. When my 2078 runs out I don't think I'll bother renewing the CITB. Especially if its equivalent to the 2079, as it seems like a waste of money.

code.
    Hi Chilly

I under stand what you are saying Chilly but the City & Guilds 2078 has been superceded by the 2079.

The CITB J 02 has been superceded by the J11.

They are diferent quals but both do the same thing.

The City & Guilds suposidly lasts for life unless the law changes
    The CITB needs renewing every 5 years.

So if anyone has a gas handle qual now it is valid until July 2011 when the new qual comes into force properly.

Nobody with a C&G 2078 needs to stop working, they have till next July to qualify.

All the best

coolrunings

Yes I know that now. But as far as I'm aware my 2078 Ammonia is valid beyond that date. But I've misplaced my certificate.

Not that I do much Ammonia these days, but if I do and some asks to see it I suppose I'll have to look harder.

WOW talk about post hijacking

Yes I know that now. But as far as I'm aware my 2078 Ammonia is valid beyond that date. But I've misplaced my certificate.

Not that I do much Ammonia these days, but if I do and some asks to see it I suppose I'll have to look harder.
    Your ammonia will be good for many many years and if you realy need it,
    you can get a duplicate cert from C&G.

all the best

coolrunings

Post Re: C&g 2079

Hi guys
    How can a guy living in Africa obtain this qualification of C&G 2079. Is it by distance learning or there is a way how. Could someone fill me in please

Quote Originally Posted by voltair View Post
    Hi guys
    How can a guy living in Africa obtain this qualification of C&G 2079. Is it by distance learning or there is a way how. Could someone fill me in please

Part of the assessment is practical so you have to be
    here in person, or the assessor has to be with you in person, at least .

The qualification is valid anywhere in the EU so although the British
    will be biased to there system you could get the equivalent qual from
    any of the EU member states.

taz

hoko1971 Guest

Passed today cat 1 woo hoo

Passed Cat 1 April 2010, nice to have a bit if a refresher too!!

Passed October 09, the theory was quite good but the same practical work for 5 days was pointless!

Re: C&G 2079 F Gas

Has anyone whilst on assessment been asked to charge at least 3kG into the test rig so as to comply with the so called regs... would love to hear your assessment stories good bad or indifferant.

Quote Originally Posted by voltair View Post
    Hi guys
    Cant see any reason why not... but you would need to do a practical assessment with an assessor present on suitable equipment, which means either the kit comes to you or you go to the kit. Essentailly you could deliver the course anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Willsmithiraq View Post
    Passed Cat 1 April 2010, nice to have a bit if a refresher too!!
    Are you sure! how much gas did you charge into the rig? if it was less the 3kG C&G could argue it was at Cat2

Re: C&G 2079 F Gas

Quote Originally Posted by spwright View Post
    Has anyone whilst on assessment been asked to charge at least 3kG into the test rig so as to comply with the so called regs... would love to hear your assessment stories good bad or indifferant.
    Passed today, Cat1 and yes I was asked to charge at least 3kg (the rig held 3.2kg).

steve t Guest

Cool Re: C&g 2079

Hey guys new to the forum but passed 2079 today phew what a relief!

Quote Originally Posted by spwright View Post
    Are you sure! how much gas did you charge into the rig? if it was less the 3kG C&G could argue it was at Cat2
    The practical assessment for cat 2 or cat 1 is identical except the less, than 3kg or more than 3kg.

Its not just the amount as the task is the same regardless of the charge.

it is the knowledge i.e. exam or test which differentiates
    the competence from very little to much more with cat 1 or cat 2

PS C&G are not going to argue to anybody but the center who carried out the assessment.

ps where have you been for 2 years

Iceman1990 Guest

I PASSED LAST WEEK!!
    Good to know i'll be able to work next year

hell yeh passed in feb 2010

passed 2079-hate exams-engineer arent designed to click mice!83.4%

Cat 1 just passed. Thank ----

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast