Hello

I have been working in electrical retail now for over 5 years and want a change of career. I did qualify as a carpenter when I was young but the recession of the 90’s took me away and I don’t want to go back.
I have considered doing a refrigeration & air-conditioning course before but have only recently found out that I can do the one below for about £500 plus exams fees, which is a lot cheaper that the £2-3k I have seen before.

Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Level 2

I think I have a good technical mind (I build my own PCs) which has not been fully used in the last few years and would like to get back to “hands on” work. The problem is, I’m not sure after reading some of the posts in this forum that it is for me?

I got speaking to a customer in my store the other day, and he had completed the course above and was now working for a maintenance company who had him working at airports like Heathrow and Gatwick. He was shocked to find I was on about £14k a year when he was on £12 per hour, so he said?

Basically what I’m asking is, I need to find a better job that has better prospects to earn a good income that may even enable me to emigrate to another country like Australia, in the future. Is it a good industry to be in? I know the recession has affected job vacancies at this time but it will take me 2 years to complete the course, so I would hope things will have improved by then!

I’m also thinking that even if I don’t become an engineer I could use this qualification to get employment in sales in this industry?

I’m 40 years old if that makes a difference? Any help or advice would be appreciated.