micoman Guest

A Change Of Career?

Hello

I have been working in electrical retail now for over 5 years and want a change of career. I did qualify as a carpenter when I was young but the recession of the 90’s took me away and I don’t want to go back.
    I have considered doing a refrigeration & air-conditioning course before but have only recently found out that I can do the one below for about £500 plus exams fees, which is a lot cheaper that the £2-3k I have seen before.

Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Level 2

I think I have a good technical mind (I build my own PCs) which has not been fully used in the last few years and would like to get back to “hands on” work. The problem is, I’m not sure after reading some of the posts in this forum that it is for me?

I got speaking to a customer in my store the other day, and he had completed the course above and was now working for a maintenance company who had him working at airports like Heathrow and Gatwick. He was shocked to find I was on about £14k a year when he was on £12 per hour, so he said?

Basically what I’m asking is, I need to find a better job that has better prospects to earn a good income that may even enable me to emigrate to another country like Australia, in the future. Is it a good industry to be in? I know the recession has affected job vacancies at this time but it will take me 2 years to complete the course, so I would hope things will have improved by then!

I’m also thinking that even if I don’t become an engineer I could use this qualification to get employment in sales in this industry?

I’m 40 years old if that makes a difference? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Re: A Change Of Career?

Hi micoman,

is it the NVQ level 2, City and Guilds 6087?
    Tony

refrigeration is fun, sometimes it's all about scratching your head and problem solving, sometimes it's about crawling through dirty 60 degress C ceiling spaces. sometimes it's about lugging a reclaimer, reclaim cylinder, oxy set, refrigerant cylinder vac pump etc onto a roof, sometimes it's about just using a soldering iron or even just replacing a printed circuit board.

Very varied work, the hard jobs pay the same as easy ones though. Some of it you might like better than others.
    eg a compresor change requires heap of equipment and you might earn $200 and take two hours. In that time you could unblock two drains or replace two capacitors and earn more without carrying 40kg of gear up a ladder etc that a compressor change requires.

edit: it's one of the best industries I think. Why? because when it's hot where you are, you are very busy, regardless of the economy things need t be kept cold. When business gets qiuet, it's always hot somewhere in the word, so always work to chase, always busy somewhere. I'm flat out right now, because it's pretty hot now, just like comfort food etc goes well in a recession, no one wants to be without fridge (ever), be a shop with a broken fridge or a/c and lose customers or stock, or even be at home unemployed and have no a/c when it's 42C. Not to mention the other million uses of refrig, like hospitals, labs etc that will always tick over, recession or not.
    Last edited by paul_h; 28-01-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Hawks 8 Guest

It's a Great job if you don't want to spend any time at home in the Summer. If you don't mind being electronically tagged. If you don't mind being covered in s--t most days. If you don't mind being treated like a Monkey ( That may be just my current employer ).
    As you can tell i'd rather be doing something else and am currently in the process of seeking an alternative. Some people may give the impression that the job is interlectually stimulating. Spending half your time pottering about with a soldering iron between cups of Tea. The reality in my experience is far from that. With most of the days being spent on dull mundane jobs.
    Like most industries a significant number of people within it are chancers. Due to the fact that proper training these days is virtually non existant. Except for training for Heath & Safety , Which is provided only so that employers have their arses covered in the event of the employee having an accident.
    There are some interesting aspects of the job and the possibility of earning ( through working lots of hours ) is there.
    My advice would be get as much training as possible , then become self employed. - The most satisfying period of my 25 years in the trade.

micoman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Hi micoman,

is it the NVQ level 2, City and Guilds 6087?
    This is what the coarse covers:

Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Level 2

Who is the course suitable for?

This course is suitable for people who ideally have at least two GCSE grade C passes, with preferably Maths or Science. Successful completion of a college aptitude test will also allow entry to the course. It is suitable for Service and Installation Trainees in the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning industry. However, anybody not employed in the industry, is still eligible to enrol on this course and gain a Technical Qualification.
    What does the course involve?

The course involves some practical work, but the emphasis is on technology subjects linked to the qualification, such as Health & Safety, Processes and Refrigeration related subjects.
    What is the qualification and how is it gained?

This is purely a technical qualification and is gained by passing an exam in core studies and at technical level. This qualification can lead to an N.V.Q. for students who are working within the industry and are able to gain sufficient work based evidence.
    How will the course be taught?

You will learn through four hours of practical work and three hours of theory per day, but the emphasis is on technology subjects linked to the qualification, such as Health & Safety, Processes and Refrigeration related subjects. This course is taught one day a week over two years, with a technical emphasis.
    What skills will be taught?

A stand-alone technical qualification in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning. However, the Technical Certificate is a pre-requisite for any candidate completing the NVQ Level 2 in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning.
    What progression routes are available?

The Technical Certificate will enable students who are not already working in the industry, to gain employment in this area. Those who are working in the industry and who gain the Level 2, can move on to the Level 3.
    What should students bring to the first class?

Practical lessons require the student to supply their own P.P.E.: Thermally insulated gloves, Safety goggles, Industrial safety shoes/boots and overalls. Theory lessons: A4 Ringbinder,A4 writing pad, assorted colour pens, 12’’ ruler and a calculator
    Are there any other costs involved?

C..F.C. Safe Handling of Refrigerants course ( if taken at Eastleigh College) Pipe work and Brazing certificate ( if taken at Eastleigh College)
    How many weeks will the course run for?

35 weeks per year, for two years.

I cant post a link but search for eastleigh college coarses

Thanks micoman,

its the City and Guilds 6127 Level 2 Technical certificate.

The qualification is the theory covering the underpinning knowledge requirements required prior to enrolling on the NVQ.

Good qualification but only really covers theory.
    Tony

micoman Guest

Thanks micoman,

The qualification is the theory covering the underpinning knowledge requirements required prior to enrolling on the NVQ.

So is this a good place to start? or should do a different course?

Thanks micoman,

Quote Originally Posted by micoman View Post
    So is this a good place to start? or should do a different course?

As Tony states the course is the knowledge part of the training.

In answer to your question Yes the Tech Cert is a good way to start. You can't do the NVQ without it.
    The NVQ is the bit that you do to prove you can do the work by meeting criteria and completeing a portfolio.

You can't do the NVQ part though if you are not working in the trade. It is a catch 22 situation.

Do the Tech Cert and it will lead onto the NVQ and by then you hopfully will have found somone to give you the work experience you need.

Cheers taz.

I agree with taz
    Tony