dynamogirl Guest

Red face Any new ways to cool humid warehouse space?

hI, Can anyone give me any suggestions, i built a play centre in a 1200sqm warehouse in Sydney. It is very hot and humid in the summer and no one seems to be able to sugest a way to cool it down that is also not over $100k. Is there any new cooling systems that might work?

Blog Entries

Re: Any new ways to cool humid warehouse space?

Cheapest are some high pressure air duct systems with polythene perforated ducts and packaged air-to-air AC units.
    http://www.tombling.com/ducting/benefits.htm
    I don't know what systems are available to you in Australia. High humidity could be issue with that, since you need system with high temperature difference across evaporator for better dehumidifier.
    I think you need to hire some consultant firm.
    Last edited by nike123; 23-01-2009 at 01:09 AM.

I came across ASHRAE's advance energy design guide for small warehouses in their website. Good design practice for your 1200 sqm considers packaged unit systems and split systems with a refrigerantbased
    direct expansion system.
    VRF systems are efficient system which you can take a look at.

Here is an exerpt from the design guide.
    Single packaged units can be mounted on the roof, at grade level, or indoors. Split
    systems generally have the blower unit, including filters and coils, located indoors or in
    unconditioned space and the condensing unit outdoors on the roof or at grade level. On
    smaller systems, the blower is commonly incorporated in an indoor furnace section. The
    blower unit may also be located outdoors; if so, it should be mounted on the roof to
    avoid ductwork outside the building envelope. The equipment should be located in a position that results
    in minimizing fan power, ducting, and wiring.

for that one, i think the cheapest way and most effective way would be a chilled water system with one heat recovery chiller and multiple fan coils with an economiser. that would be the cheapest. vrv would be too expensive as you will probably need at least 250kw or something like that.
    evaporative coolers would be a waste of time.

you could also use this to heat the hot water for the building..

lennox roof top unit maybe?

http://www.lennoxuk.com/
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

Using a fabric duct direjet system might be an option if you just wanted to give a perception of cooling by creating a lot of air movement.
    depending on the height of the space, we have nozzles from 12 to 60mm.
    because we can use the entire surface of the duct to distribute air from, we could create high air movement across most of the floor space. this would probably be cheaper in the long run than actually trying to cool the entire space.
    We have an agent in your area....

SYDNEY & CANBERRA OFFICE:
    Air Solutions International Pty Ltd
    Suite 405, 20 Bungan Street
    Mona Vale, NSW 2103
    tel. +61 2 9979 7299
    fax +61 2 9979 1145

Graham

Your suggestion does not propose a method of cooling the space but just gives a sales pitch for the use of fabric ducts to distribute the air.

There are rules on the forum about using threads for free advertising, products or promoting company sales.

Such advertising must be paid for and not included in thread topics. For advertising rates, if this is what you intend, please e-mail or PM Webram.

You are welcome to join in the threads and extol the virtues of fabric duct air distribution but please remember to keep the advertising out of the topics.

As a very recent purchaser from your company, (good service and back up by the way) I agree that fabric ducts would be a good tool for this project but Dynamogirl is looking for 'Cooling' solutions as a whole, not just air distribution issues.
    This is, after all, a Refrigeration forum.

I suggest you look up www.unidyne-energy.com
    It is an Indian company using good innovations for saving energy.
    There may be some simple and cost effetive solution to your cooling problem.

Hi Dynamogirl.
    Check out suppliers that install evaporative coolers ( aka swamp boxes ). a once through air system that takes advantage of differential between dry buld and wet buld temperatures for cooling. They are very popular in Australia. Check out the yellow pages for contacts.
    magoo