Restricted split system license Australia

Hi All, first post, apologise for the length...

I'm a licensed elec contractor, I've recently completed the restricted split course here in Aus' and was disappointed to find out on the day of the course that we would not be certified to install systems in NSW. Where I live and where the course was run. We are required to have a licensed fridgie present to install in nsw.

The course was run by a Victorian tafe which had travelled up to NSW to provide training for pre-qaulified applicants, ie-electricians,plumbers etc, interested in getting "qaulified" to install splits.

At a cost of $1600 plus time off work it was a little annoying to be told we "should" be able to get certified by first applying to the "plumbing industry corp" of VIC and then apply to the "dept fair trading" in nsw and that they should recognise our qualification and issue licenses that way...

My question is??
    Does anyone know if anybody else has had any success with getting licensed in nsw by doing this?

I need to purchase a recovery unit / leak detector & vac pump before I can apply. All of which I'm happy to do assuming I'll be able to install units legally.
    But thats a big expense to only be told I need to be supervised to install.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Restricted split system license Australia

First I've heard of this, isn't arctick national? So wouldn't a split system installers licence be the same no matter what the state?
    Can't help with info, you'll find most of us are fully qualified fridgies here (we can't install on our own either because a sparkie needs to be present and do the wiring )

Maybe find a local fridgie and work together? At least you'll learn how to install then anyway. It's not like the course taught you everything about refrigeration and air conditioning installs anyway
    I'm in the opposite situation, heap of people wanting me to do installs and I can't do them (no sparkies available).

Hi Paul,

Yeh, the arctick license is national, with the completed course I was able to apply and recieve that.
    But to legally install in nsw (governed by the dept of fair trading) you need to be supervised as well.
    In Vic you dont.
    I'm still waiting on a email response from the Plumbing Industry of Vic for any advice.
    But I'm not holding my breath.
    Apparently vic and nsw governing bodies dont agree on the restricted license issue.

To drop 1600 on a course for nothing really P's u off.
    Especially as there's so many cowboys around still installing, no vac, no gauges just purge with refrigerant take their $500 and go.

But I do agree on the working together part, I'd enjoy installing these on a more regular basis and learning from a fridgie the "do's n dont's"

moonos Guest

I am both a fridgy and a sparky, but have been doing only sparky work for the past 7 years. Before that i worked as a fridgy for 12 years. I live in Sydney. I am looking to go out on my own in the next few months, and would be interested to form a relationship with either a fridgy or sparky to help when installations require it by either party, or possibly simply when work loads require it.

If any one feels this might work for them please send me a private message and we can discuss things.

Cheers

Good luck with your situation, I am both fridgie and sparkie and I know the amount of hoops I had to jump thru to to get recognition back to purchase and use CFC's thru ArcTick, after already holding a purchaser and user license under the dept of fair trading for many years. Good thing is though, hopefully we can reduce the amount of cowboys in the trade. Once had a unit that a sparkie fitted in a switchroom (no ventilation), condensate run into underground telstra conduit, pipes lead soldered, unit still pumped down as I found out when I pressure tested due to many refrigerant leaks and the owner was told that the unit was doing the best it could. He also told the owner that if he didn't pay him he would take a hammer to the unit.

Good luck anyhow, I think it is worth it in the end.

Cody82 Guest

Hey mate i am in the exact sake boat as you it is extremely fustrating as I am keen to get the ball rolling asap. Did you have any luck or hear anything back yet??

No replies yet...
    It p's you off to not even get an email back to confirm your waisting your time!
    I considered taking legal action against the tafe for a while...but that ended up in the too hard basket.
    I've pretty much given up on the splits. I'm not interested in installing them without the license cause I'd hate to be put through the wringer for a lousy $500.
    I guess a split license in 4 days was "too good to be true"

moonos Guest

I'm both a fridgy and a sparky, and have recently started my own contracting business.

I am based in Sydney, however I do work to Nowra, ACT, and Newcastle depending on the size of the projects.

If any fridgys or sparkies need a partner to install any systems, give me a buzz - we can go halvies with any jobs. I can get Fujitsu for a reasonable price. Send me an email at avacadmin at gmail dot com.

Cheers.

rem955 Guest

just wondering if you have heard back about weather you can be licenced. just wondering if i should go down that path. cheers