where do you buy a new NH3 receiver?

It is time to replace an old 1,000 gallon low pressure NH3 receiver at our facility here in Oregon.

I am an operating engineer (as opposed to a smart engineer!) and have never been involved in the purchase or design of a system, so when I discovered that we really need to replace our old receiver... Well, there just isn't an ammonia receiver store.

To be honest, my ignorance is sometimes surprising even to me, but I thought buying a new receiver would be an easy thing, just like buying pipe or valves.

Where does one go to purchase a new 1,000 gallon low pressure NH3 receiver? Any suggestions?

Re: where do you buy a new NH3 receiver?

One thing I would be very careful of... Some ASME fabrication shops can build vessels, but they may not understand how the internals are arranged or what is required. Stick to a reputable vessel manufacturer from one of the big three (Vilter, Frick, or FES) or go with one from RVS.

Here's a link for RVS. They are owned by Evapco.

http://www.evapco.com/media/pdf/asme-pressure.pdf

FYI, the vessel sizes are given in diameter X length. Gallons will not mean much to the salesman.

Another word of caution... buy a vessel bigger than you need right now. The incremental costs are reasonable for a slightly larger vessel.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

You may have to go through a Contractor to purchase a new receiver. Even if you can buy direct, the State will require you to meet standards for installing the new one that are quite difficult to get by if you do not understand the process.
    There are two NH3 Contractors in your area. I am sure you know who they are. If not PM me.
    I have seen a few instances of Stress Corrosion Cracking in HP receivers in the last couple of years. I do not know how much of a problem this has been with low temp vessels. Stress relieving is something I would not consider skipping in a new vessel.
    Used vessels are sometime available as well. This can get you a bigger vessel at a lower price. I have never seen a LPR that was too big-if we could fit it into the Engineroom.

a good vessel installation company can be found at gartner-refrig.com they are Frick factory authorized and install RVS products. I have had very good luck with their work over the past 10 years or so.

Oregon, where Jim is from is a bit complex to deal with. The rules have toughened considerably the last few years.
    You have to take the Oregon Welding Certification Test, and prove experience in order to weld on the job. But you also have to have a State Licensed Supervisor on the job as well. Of course you need to be a State Licensed Contractor.
    When the Boiler Inspector arrives he has the option to retest the welders himself. He can refuse to let a Welder, no matter his experience or qualifications, weld on a job.
    All the people working on the job-even if they only carry pipe-have to at the least a trainee card.
    You need to record all the heat numbers on the pipe, mark it on each installed pipe, and provide the State with test data for each lot of pipe. Then the records have to be maintained in the office as the Boiler Inspector comes around periodically to inspect them.
    It means that the little guy, or the Plant Maintenance Department, is almost frozen out of NH3 installation work now.

Iceman provided links to the information I was seeking. Thank you all for your replies. I am amazed at how fruitless my internet search was.

Thank you all for your quick replies. I love this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Jim
    I am amazed at how fruitless my internet search was.
    The internet searches are driven by keywords. If the word or phrase you use does not return the desired links, try a different set of words. You might also try different search engines.

Google will return a lot of links, but you have to look through all of them to find a relevant link. Yahoo seems to do a decent job also.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

RVS and Frick are very popular. Check your contractor quotes closely. Most are offering Post- Weld Heat Treat. If you search this site I am sure you will find some good info on that. On smaller vessels it can cost almost as much as the vessel itself. I think it is a good idea to include it though.

I am pretty low on the company totem pole, so I won't have much input on the decision to purchase any particular vessel. I was simply eager to know what choices are available and to have access to information so that I would not be completely ignorant of what management was dealing with. I am certain that an engineering outfit from Portland will do a good job for my company and that all will go smoothly.

Thanks again!!!

Does anyone know anything about the codes for replacing an old receiver with a "less-old" used receiver from another facility?

Would it require the vessel to be recertified prior to installation?

Inquisitive, penny-pinching minds are wondering...

I believe that the installation of a replacement receiver would be considered a "new installation" even if a used vessel was installed, and that would mean that the new installation would have to meet the codes and requirements of the day of installation, including testing and certification.

Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Jim View Post
    I believe that the installation of a replacement receiver would be considered a "new installation" even if a used vessel was installed, and that would mean that the new installation would have to meet the codes and requirements of the day of installation, including testing and certification.
    That's exactly how I would see it at a PSM/RMP covered plant.

As long as nothing has been modified or changed there isn't any reason why you couldn't use a used receiver, as long as it is certified.

There is usually no problem using a old vessel as long as it is in good shape. You have to clear it with the Boiler Inspector. They will usually let you get by without hydrotesting, but one inspector might be pickier than another.