Thread: ACRIB v's CITB

ACRIB v's CITB

Please help...

I have a CITB Building Engineering Services green card that states the expiry of Safe Handling Refrigerants. The question i have been asked is if i was a member of ACRIB?

ACRIB state that "the register is open only to individuals and operates on a voluntary basis. Registration is open to those who have successfully completed the City & Guilds 2078 Handling Refrigerants Assessment or an approved CITB refrigerants assessment.

As i have the qualification am i on the register automatically? I have trawled the website without luck.

Many thanks.

Re: ACRIB v's CITB

no you have to register with acrib it cost about £20 and 2 passport photos

I think you have to register with acrib and there is small fee i renewed mine a couple years

Hi,
    If you have problems registering online, phone the Institute of refrigeration as they deal with ACRIB registration

The ACRIB register is entirely voluntary, costs you about £20 and is of little or no practical use at all. In fact ACRIB is agitating the government to adopt it as a mandatory register of qualified fitters, but the govt is resisting the temptation.

At present you need either the C&G or CITB safe handling certificate and either is sufficient, provided that it is still valid. These are based on the C&G 2078 qualification.

You should note that 2078 is in the process of being phased out over the next couple of years in favour of the newer 2079 qualification that aligns with the F gas regulations and this will be a legal requirement to handle refrigerants is the UK. So you will have to retrain and get another assessment when it runs out, as will everyone else.

It obviously depends on what equipment you work on but the 2079 only applies to stationary equipment but as argus states the 2078 is being phased out. My souce states july 2011 will be the end of 2078

Thanks to you all for the replys.