fierce_teapot Guest

Fridge Freezers in cold locations

Hi,

Is it really true that if my normal cheap fridge freezer is in a very cold room (say 1-5 degrees C) that it might not freeze food very well? ...

I have a feeling this is the case, as recently the freezer seems to have packed up and the past few days it has been very cold in that room.

If this is true, why dont fridge manufacturers place a thermostat inside the freezer compartment?!

Please help as Im wondering whether its worth phoning the manufacturer (some generic one, Coolzone) and seeing if my warranty can help.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Fridge Freezers in cold locations

It can happen as there isn't enough temperature difference between the inside and outside of the unit.

There have been various suggestions such as putting a low wattage light bulb inside the fridge to give it a false load.

You could try calling the maker but I wouldn't hold your breath

Also see....
    http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...freezer+garage
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 07-01-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Blog Entries

Why don't you read your user manual? It is usually stated there that unit should not be in low temperature environment.

Quote Originally Posted by fierce_teapot View Post
    Hi,

Is it really true that if my normal cheap fridge freezer is in a very cold room (say 1-5 degrees C) that it might not freeze food very well? ...

I have a feeling this is the case, as recently the freezer seems to have packed up and the past few days it has been very cold in that room.

If this is true, why dont fridge manufacturers place a thermostat inside the freezer compartment?!

Please help as Im wondering whether its worth phoning the manufacturer (some generic one, Coolzone) and seeing if my warranty can help.

I will exlain why this happens then you will know the answer.

Fridge freezers are controled by the temp of the fridge alone ( if the fridge is at the correct temp then the freezer will be).
    Because this temp is controled in the fridge if the temp around the outside of the fridge drops below about 5 degC the fridge will turn off as normal but not turn on because it thinks it is cold enough at 5 degC.
    The trouble is the freezer then warms up to 5 degC aswell and you loose the stock.

Some fridges have switches on them to allow for cold conditions and there are other tricks you can do as explained above, but for the most part they will not run correctly in low ambiant temps.

Cheers taz.