Why multiple 4 way valves on VRF systems

Something that has always puzzled me on VRV/F is why there are multiple 4 way valves on the inside of the condensor. These can range from being very big to very small. I've seen up to 3 4 way valves inside and i dont know why 3?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

Re: Why multiple 4 way valves on VRF systems

Alot of 3 pipe VRV / VRF heat recovery systems will have 2 reversing valves.
    Each outdoor unit will have 2 outdoor coils.
    At low load conditions only one is needed & then as load increases the outdoor unit at some point will use both coils.
    For heat recovery mode the outdoor unit can use when nessessary one coil for cooling & one for heating.

The flow of refrigerant through the outdoor coils is controlled with the 4w reversing valves.
    Cool only mode, heat only mode & heat recovery heating & cooling simultaneously.

For multiple outdoor units linked together each one will have 2 reversing valves.

For Mitsubishi City Multi R2 heat recovery there is only one 4w reversing valve to change from heat to cool mode at the outdoor unit.
    But 4 seperate solenoid valves to control refrigerant flow through 4 sections of the outdoor coil + 1 section permanantly open.
    Cool only, cool main, heat main, heat only modes.

The refrigerant flow diagrams in the service manuals are a bit complicated ( dont tell Gary )
    but if you spend some time you can trace the refrigerant flow through the outdoor unit & system for all the modes.

When you fully understand the refrigerant flow in heat recovery mode then you see why consultants specify VRV / VRF for energy efficiency.

Re: Why multiple 4 way valves on VRF systems

Ah right, that makes a bit more sense now, thanks. Next time i'm at the condensor of one i'll try tracing the pipes as well.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc